problems with custom chip

tadmichael22

I am really going crazy now and I would love any help I can get here. Those of you that have been reading and helping me with my problems in the past know I have went through 6 mafs before getting one that worked. My new problem is that I ordered a chip because my car was kinda bogging down off the start and just didnt want to run as well as it should. I have been through 2 now and it wont work either. All it does is when I turn the key on the fan comes on and the care just cranks and cranks but wont start. It wont even try. When you take the chip out it starts right up. Has anyone had this problem before. Its almost may and I still cant drive my car because all the incorrect parts I have been recieving. Thanks Tad

Oh by the way I ordered it from apten and they cant figure out why it wont work. He just told me to send this one back and they will try reburning it again. I just have a feeling it will come back the same way as the past 2 and I will be out another week and a half. Tad

I'm guessing you don't have the EEC contacts cleaned off well enough. You must remove all that coating that the factory puts on there, or the chip won't work.

David

My car does the exact same thing as yours, only most of the time it will start. Some times the fan will come on and it will just crank. If I play with the EEC and move it around it seems to fix it some times. I'm gonna go take it out right now and try cleaning the contacts a little better and see if that helps.

Ill try cleaning them again but I cleaned them really well the first time. I took the eec apart and got all the coating off the connections.
Tad

Tad,

I had to clean mine about 4 times before the contacts were clean enough. I don't know why Ford even bothered to put an access port, if they were going to make it so difficult to use.

David

I never had to clean the contact points on my SC computer,,From what I understand teh silver is a coating for protection yet still conductive..I dunno..Maybe the chip just wasnt in all the way

well I just went out and cleaned the contacts again. They are completely copper now and still no go. I cant possibly get them any cleaner. Any other ideas???
Tad

How exactly did you clean them? We have problems with our connections that our cards plug into a female busboard (at work, very sim. to the EEC port) we have a special fiberglass brush that looks like a eraser for a blackboard. In the feild a eraser on a pencil usually does the trick.

Check the connections on the other chip one of the pins might be pressed back and not make connection.

Jeff

What I did was I used a scotch brite and made sure that there was none of the clear film lefty on it and I scuffed the connections all down to copper on both sides. I will go out this morning and try the eraser though. At this point I will try anything. If this doesnt work you all will probably see a 93 red SC up for sale... Thanks for all the responses!
Tad

Well I just tried the eraser thing and it didnt make any difference. It was worth a shot though. Now I'm up to 3 pro-m mafs and 3 apten chips. Has anyone had this much trouble ordering parts for these things? It seems like everything I order comes in wrong.
Tad

This may sound like a silly question but are you piggybacking the chip properly?When I got my chip from Brian I first tried to mount it over the outside lip of the EEC housing because that's how my previous chip attached and had the same types of problems that you describe......removed the back of the EEC housing,placed the chip inside the EEC body,replaced the back and chip worked great.....just a thought......
z

The chip I recieved you just need to remove the cap ford places over the chip port and push the chip onto the board from there. It still doesnt go completely flush with the outside of the eec because it bottoms out inside the chip befor it will allow it to go in any farther.
Tad

No because if you have it in upside down it hangs way low over the bottom of the eec. So theres really only one way it can fit properly.
Tad

Tad,I had the same problem that you are describing....the chip wouldn't seat onto the eec board....it was angled.....take the back of the eec off,plug the chip onto the board,replace the eec back and try it......that's what I had to do and the chip worked great.....try it and see.
z

Heres three pictures of my EEC when I installed my Apten Diablo chip.

The first is the cleaned EEC connector. Second shows the Chip on the board without the case on the EEC (notice the components carefully layed over on the board. The third shows how I trimmed the EEC case for chip clearance.

My chip has worked great for 6 months now.

Attachments

• Cleaned Chip Connector.jpg
    Cleaned Chip Connector.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 95
  • Chip on board.jpg
    Chip on board.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Chip in EEC.jpg
    Chip in EEC.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 88
Well that first picture clearly shows that there is still silver that needs sanded. You also didnt post a pick of the other side.

Chris

Back