Why did Ford make powerseat belts???

SC90_Pete

At random times my seatbelt will just all of a sudden stop working. Sometimes when I get in the car and start it up it works and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, the door ajar light comes on as well at the seat belt. The dome lights aren't on so obviously the door is closed all the way. I checked the pin and it seems to be fine, any ideas? Could it be the locking mechanism towards the back of the door that is causing this? Thanks in advance......................Pete

SC90_Pete said:
At random times my seatbelt will just all of a sudden stop working. Sometimes when I get in the car and start it up it works and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, the door ajar light comes on as well at the seat belt. The dome lights aren't on so obviously the door is closed all the way. I checked the pin and it seems to be fine, any ideas? Could it be the locking mechanism towards the back of the door that is causing this? Thanks in advance......................Pete

Blaim the government and their requirment for "passive restraint systems" in passanger cars. Most car manufactures when with air bags but Ford decided to use automatic seat belts. I'm not sure the exact date passive restaints became federally mandated so I'm not sure if Ford was trying to get ahead of the game or was behind the curve.
Why they don't work at times makes me beleive Ford was behind the curve when passive restraints started to be manditory.
I have replaced the drive belt twice and the whole track once on the driver side of my 91. The track is about 200 bucks and I am sure won't be available for much longer. I just hope someday I can find a 93 with a good interior and do the swap to standard 3-point belts.

SC90_Pete said:

I am fairly certain that from your description that the switch in the latch mechanism is what is causing your problem. Since the door ajar light is controlled by this switch, which by the way does not control your dome lights they are controlled by the switch on the door jamb at the front of your door. The switch on the latch mechanism is on the inside of your door. You have to take the door panel off to get to it and find the wires that go to the latch assembly. I hope this helps.

Dave

I think he's right

I had the door latch switch go out on my passenger and I ended up just disconecting it after driving around with the car thinking the door was ajar for a week. (that beeping is the most anoying thing :eek: ) If you pull the wires the seat belt will engauge and stay there, no more door ajar light and no more beeping.

Back