Sycronizer Question. I need serious help!

Iron Raven

I have a 90 sc 5spd that I've been overhauling slowly. Alittle less than a year ago I was driving and the vibration damper broke off. Thank god it didn't break the crank shaft. My big problem is that about 2 inches of the damper is still on the crank and I've determined that if I take of the timing chain cover I can get that piece off and replace the damper. I already have the water pump off and I'm taking the oil cooler off today. Problem, I was reading the book and it says the #1 piston has to be TDC before I pull the sycronizer. I have no way to move the pistons to get it TDC. Is there any way to retime the car after I get it all back together? I also Have a side question to replace the plugs do I have to remove th intercooler tubes or is there some way around them?

-Iron Raven-

No it's definitely the sycronizer

No I mean sycronizer. It goes in through the timing chain cover and sticks out just above and to the left of the water pump. (it's kinda hidden)

If you are refering to the cam sensor (synchronizer), the sensor can be removed/installed without setting the engine to #1 cylinder BTDC according to the Ford Service manual, but if you are removing the rotor (the manual call it something like a housing), then you have to time it. If you are looking at the haynes manual (I have that too), it just tells you that you have to set the timing for the engine for both. I replaced my cam sensor without timing the engine and no problems. But, if you are going to have the sparkplugs out anyway and you need to rotate the crank, you could just put an 18mm socket on the end of the crankbolt and rotate the engine in normal direction (I'm not sure what that is, but I'm sure that you wouldn't want to rotate it backwards). I'm sure someone else can give you more information about that. But, since the sparkplugs are out, the air pressure that prevents you from rotating the crank can now escape out the sparkplug holes.

As far as the intercooler tubes go for changing plugs, I just did my plugs and I did remove them but I don't think it was necessary. But a big ALSO, I have a 95 SC which allows me to get to them from the top. I'm not sure if you have enough room on the older models to get to them from the bottom. I've read other places that you can.

Back