AOD Tranny Experts - Help!

pearl95sc

I installed my new fairbanks high perf. shift kit sunday. found out monday on the way to work that there was no overdrive. I thought I felt it engaging on the test run the night out before, but didn't want take the car to high speeds on sidestreets to verify this. I put it on the #3 setting, which is all out competition for race use or street rod/roadster. In the instructions, it said to leave the #8 check ball out, which bothered me. It also had me use a different spring as well in one of the servos. I replace the overdrive servo and seals, and one of the accumulators and seals. I followed all instrucitons to the T, used air and solvent to clean the valve body, and the fluid removed was still red, indicating that the prior owner was up on his matinence. The tranny has 107xxx miles. Still original, I beleive. Any help is appreciated. Gimme some thoughts before I tear this friggin thing back apart.

I replace the overdrive servo and seals, and one of the accumulators and seals.

That could definately be teh problem right there..If not done correctly.....I know a few people that had that problem...Now..An AOD in a 95?

I meant 4r70w

I meant to say 4r70w. The kit itself is a dual purpose aode/4r70w, or so I would assume. It came with two different valvebody gaskets/templates for drilling out the holes. It shifts into OD, it's just not there. Lets you rev like you got a 5spd, and then punch it and it will downshift and barkem hard. If this is the problem, then I will pull the valvebody and put the check ball back in, as well as the lighter spring for the #2 setting. If it grabbed the od band hard, could it have shattered? Just a thought. And if it did, will there be shavings on the magnet and in the fluid? I just don't wanna tear this thing down and wast fluid if it could be worse. The tranny shifted so smoothly before, you would have thought it was new. Upon removing one of the accumulators, I found a half broken spring also. I think that might have explained why it took a sec. to engage OD when you let off from gettin on it hard.

Damon - 95 - 5spd, 94 - auto, look in my sig.

Back