Help bucking like an old mule!

OneBad89SC

Having a few probs with car at the moment.
Seems when the boost gets to just over zero
the car bucks like mad.If I ease up on
the gas it drives better.(No boost)I replaced the O2
sensors awhile ago.Also new MAF sensor and
idle speed control valve.Maybe I need plugs
& wires? Gas filter? Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem, but the only thing I did was change sparkplugs and wires. I think I have a bad new plug. We'll see. Everytime I go into boost mine bucks also.

does it run fine after you turn it off and turn it back on? if so it could be your cam sensor. when mine bucked on the highway i would pull over, turn off, then turn on, it ran fine. changed the cam sensor and it was fixed. good luck

No.No tach jump.No check engine light either.
Won't stop even when restarted.
Plugs are what I figured as well.

Last edited:
Make sure your air bypass is not stuck, I spray mine with WD40 and make sure the butterfly opens and closes. Good luck

My 89 does the same thing. Shut it off turn back on and it's fine. Put new TPS in it, thought it was fixed but started to do it again this morning. Now it's giving a nuetral pressure switch code (67). do you guys think it could be the cam sensor instead? OH yeah when it starts bucking and stuff, I turn her off but when it restarts I dont have a tach. Then outta the blue it starts working again.

Mine turned out to be a bad plug. Even new! I must have not looked very hard at it as the ceramic part where the boot slips on was cracked on two opposite sides!

Deputy Yamaha,
I would replace the neutral/safety switch if it's throwing you that code! That's why having the codes are good!

deputy yamaha, yours definately sounds like the cam sensor. it's like $32 at autozone and takes 15-20 minutes to install. my tach was acting up also but it turned out to be the tach wire in the eng. compartment was coming disconnected.

Thanks for the heads up on the cam sensor. I might buy one to keep in the glove compartment just in case. I picked up a neutral safety switch tonight. Code 67. Might put it in next week. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again.

Back