Cooling System problem (Help)

OzzManG149

Ok I know this has probally been covered..lol I did a search and couldnt come up witht he exact problem. Ok whats happening in the morning when I go to work when the outside temprature is cool (50 DEG or SO) the temp gauge is fine. But on the way home it starts climbing alittle past the M on the Temp gauge. I pulled over and checked the top radiator hose and it felt really tight like the t-stat was not opening. I let it run for a while just sitting in the drive and the pressure seemed to let up alittle bit (still tight just not as much). The cooling fan comes on but the pressure doesnt release itself. Ive changed the t-stat 3 times and it still does it. I also notice that the pusher fan on the front of the condinsor isnt coming on when the radiator fan does. Please HELP...

temp

hi, i have a 95 also. what you are describing to me kind of seems normal. my upper rad hose is also very hard when the car is hot, i think it is supposed to be like that. the temp gauge on our cars will go a little past the "m" which is when the rad fan comes on, mine does that too. as long as ur rad fan is coming on and that temp gauge doesnt go all past the "m", that is normal. we all hate how it gets so hot, but it's the way ford made it. that "check gauge" will come on if your car gets too hot though, but that is when the temp gauge needle is way closer to the "H" that pusher fan on the front of the radiator is not supposed to come on when the big rad fan does. that fan basically never comes on unless the car is going to seriously overheat, that's why it is positioned so half of it is on the rad and half in front of the intercooler. so i wouldnt worry about that. many of us, like me, when the temp needle gets to where we dont like it, usually around the "r" for me, you can put on the defroster, that will activate the rad fan and cool it off if you are sitting in traffic, watch the temp more and report back if you think that what you are experiencing is too weird-- but it is also what happens on my 95,
Damon

These things always run hot... Mine is always up on the "A" it's just how they are....as long as the fan comes on you should be ok....

Rick in FL :cool:

Sweet90SC said:
These things always run hot... Mine is always up on the "A" it's just how they are....as long as the fan comes on you should be ok....

Rick in FL :cool:
What about the pressure on the radiator fan could that be a blockage int he radiator? Im thinking ill take it tommorrow and have the cooling system flushed.

cooling

if youve never had the system flushed or dont know much history about it, then it wouldnt hurt to take it in and have it looked at and/or flushed it is really easy to flush out rad urself if u wanted to take the time, doesnt take too long, just a unscrew a little plug on the bottom left of the rad, (if you are looking at the car, it's left) and then refill it, after the car is completely cool of course, wouldnt hurt to get a bottle of water wetter either from pep boys if u have one in your area, pour that in the overflow tank, or if u flush out the system yourself, in the top of the rad, i just put in a bottle on mine and it gives much better cooling,, it's worth the 8 bucks. definitely post if u find out anyhting, it can give me somethign to check on my car...
-damon

Two Very Important Things...

Ok, one, your electric fan is a TWO-SPEED fan. Test it to make sure both speeds work. I ran into major problems years ago becuase my 94's cooling fan only worked on the low speed! Two, when you add coolant for whatever reason, there is a vent cap that you have to loosen before you fill it then tighten back up when it's filled. That is the way it was designed. If you don't open that vent tube(very easy), there will be air in your system which could end up destroying your motor! Trust me, though your symptoms seem normal, do make sure that it is working 100% properly or you might find yourself with melted aluminum motor parts! By the way, the vent cap is very easy to get at, middle of the motor in front of it, up high almost touching the hood. It has writing on it explaining what to do with it too. Good luck.

I had to post this somewhere as it pertains to this subject. I am comfused sometimes with the readings of our temp gauges. Do 5spd cars run cooler than autos? My XR7 and 35th never go past the middle of the gauge no matter what I do. On the freeway this past winter the XR7 would sit at or just above the C, and cruising also down the freeway the 35th's temp gauge sits at the line just before the N. Now my newly aquired 91 SC heats up much faster but probably normal than both other cars. It goes to the M sometimes and goes back down. It seems that when the gauge is in the middle of the other two cars is when the fan turns on and then the temp drops to the N and the fan turns off. Is all this right or is it inaccurate gauges?

Shane

Back