Intermittent Check engine light

birdofprey

My check engine light come on intermittently under light acceleration and then turns of anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes later. But the car seems to be running fine for the most part. I have only had it out of storage for a week so I can’t be for sure that I’m not losing power, but it doesn’t feel like I am losing any power. Does the check engine light have to be on all the time for it to pull codes or can I have codes run on it anytime? Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to figure out what it is? Any suggestions.

Yeah, you can get codes even if the check engine light isn't on any more. They are continuous memory codes I believe. You can buy a code reader from Walmart for around 25 bucks or Autozone will tell you the code(s) that you are having for free if you have one in your area. Just follow the KOEO test that comes with the book for the code reader. An initial guess for a code might be 214 Cylinder Identification Fault. I had that which means cam sensor. Easy to replace. But, get your codes read first to verify.

Back