juat talked to comp cams they just got in unground cores for our 3.8/4.2 motors!

scotte

i just talked to matt maxwell at comp cams and he said that they just got in the new shipment of 3.8/4.2 cam cores this finally ends the era of regrinds :D

he said pricing was around $310 but dont quote me on it (not to bad considering the 3800 gm supercharged cams go for the same and have been out longer)

anyway if your interested contact matt maxwell(comp cams) at (901)-795-2400

of coarse this has to happen right after i get my comp regrind :mad:

just like my motor spun a rod bearing after filling up w/ 110 octane unleaded
@ 3.54 a gal. :(

but anyway i thought this was great news!

I know a fresh anything is always a good thing. But if we are able to get what we need out of regrinds, where can this be a benefit. I'm curious because if I ever need a new one, I'd may go bigger, but, if it's not necessary, I'll would want to save the few bucks.

Anthony

i believe on v6power.net there is a group of people trying to convert 3.8's from odd fire to even fire (according to them the pistons are in the right positions either way [ie the motor doesnt care wheather its on a power stroke or an exhuast stroke]) i have no idea what the gains would be from doing this would be besides being different

scotte said:
i just talked to matt maxwell at comp cams and he said that they just got in the new shipment of 3.8/4.2 cam cores this finally ends the era of regrinds :D

just wondering where they got the cams from....Fred probably sold them the one he stole from me that son of a ...

The benefit is very simple. When you do a regrind you are taking away material away from the lobes. Because you are taking away material, you must use longer pushrods in order to get the rocker arm geometry back to the way it was. Also a major problem with regrinds is the cam timing. Most cams are installed at 112-114* ICL. The factory cores are all over the place. When i installed mine it was advanced to 105*. This requires you to use an adjustable timing set or get new keyways cut. Also the major benefit is the lobe separation angle. You can change it with a stock cam, beuase the lobes must stay in the same poistion. With a new core you and basically put them where ever you want, and can move the power around. One last thing is the heat treatment on the cam. The lobes are the cam are hardened, but this hardening is only so deep, which restricts you to certain grinds. Now that its a new core you can go as deep as you want while still retaining the treatment.

Bottom line is that new cores are better. I dont think they are even close to worth $300, but i guess when you start to figure in the degree process, pushrods, and timing sets, and the headache, it'll be much better in the long run.

Liek I said in my original post

160 for regrid
50 for 89 cam if you can find it
=210

So for a 100 more..You dont need custon pushrods..Or machine work done to timing gear....So are you really losing out??

BTW I ordered mine today..YES I AM THE FIRST PERSON WITH A BRAND NEW 3.8 LITER COMP CAM!!!!!

I went a tad bigger then I originally anticipated ..Umm errr hahaha!!!!

And about changing to an even fire motor....::shakkin heads::

i was wondering about the even fire thing too.. pretty weird but if somebody wants to do it and get dyno'd before and after on their own $ i'm all for it :D

btw matt told me where he got the cores from but i forgot

if you want to know just ask him ;)

Matts the one that I been talking with teh past few weeks about the cams..Just when I was about to order another regrind.....The new blanks are from billet 5150 and can be ground anydamwayyouwantit!

Oh the joy..I'm still beeming over this hahaha

Anthony, how about a smoother idle and more HP? I believe that if you have the cam I think you have in your car you have driveability and about 25hp to gain from a better cam. ;) Think about this. Bill McNeil gets 15+ inches of vacuum AND 380rwhp. A new cam can have much better lobe profiles, ie. not so sloppy as the regrinds.

Ya see. Now there's the benefits I'm looking for. ... #'s.. . .. My vacuum is very light, but the drivability is good & it doesn't stall or hesitate. .. But anything smoother with more power is always a plus!

I would wonder though, with my profile now, can those same figures be used on the new cam for those improvements? Or will they have to be adjusted? Because the lift & duration I have is really a fabulous hit for power. So anything more powerful with better drivability would be a plus. .. But I have a big lift & a long durations, so I really wonder how it would react on a new cam.

Anthony

I'm pretty sure that Bill McNeil is achieving what he is with a reground cam he obtained from the good doctor! ...I know he sent Fred a core back when he was building his motor. ...Yet another reason why I miss Fred and hope he makes a come-back in the SC community!

...So, that begs the question, do you really need a new billet cam in order to achieve big numbers and good driveability? ...I won't argue that the new billet camshafts should last longer (Re: the hardened surface all still being intact).

Best regards,

Sean

Back