High Idle like 2000 rpms

layinthesmack31

Hey guys

Well i just got my blower back from being ported and i was installing it today. When i got to the point where i wanted to start the engine the car revved right up to around 2000 rpms and would stay there. I have just replaced the IAC valve before i sent the blower out cause it was doing about the same thing and that cured it. I know i got all the vac lines hooked up except for one that i cant find where it goes. It comes off the pcv valve on the passenger side valve cover. i have the one that hooks into the plenum hooked up but there is a little elbow that comes off that tube and points towards the passenger wheel well. When the car is running and i put my finger over the hole it sucks on my finger. I just cant find where it hooks too. Could that be my high idle prob? also keep in mind the car has sat all winter and i only got to start it a few times because it was apart. When the car runs for a few mins it does slowly try to idle down and it starts idling at around 800 rpms but it jumps around like it wants to stall. Could it be i just need to take it out for a drive to get the system back used to running and maybe clean itself out a little. Please any ideas are greatly appreciated and any help is welcome. thanks

Matt

i would say it is a vacume leak because the same thing happend last winter while changing the camshaft in my lightning.

Ok here is an update.

I took the car out to drive it today and i KNOW exactly where my vac leak is. I just dont know what it hooks too. Like i said it is off the pcv valve on the passenger side valve cover. It elbows off and points toward the passenger wheel well while the rest of it hooks into the back of the plenum. I can hear it whistle when i drive the car. But all i have to go on is just the little elbow that looks like it should have a line connected to it. I can get a vac line but i dont know what it hooks too. Please someone help me out here cause the idle is still high when the car is in park but when u put it in drive it does drop down but still idles higher than it should. please help.

Thanks
Matt

That line runs from the inlet behind the tb, supplying vacuum for the pcv valve. T'ed into that line is the vac supply for the vac canister in front of the passeger side front wheel. That canister is used for vac supply for hvac, cruise, and some other stuff. There should be a vac line coming from the passenger wheel well. The line will come off the pcv valve/line connection and appear to run off into the sheet metal. The lines runs from the pcv area to the front of the fender. If you remove the fender liner, you will see the vac ball and the vac lines. It's possible the vac line is broken, has slipped off the T, has a hole in it, or has come off the vac ball. I'd suggest pulling the passenger fender liner and following the line to make sure it is unbroken all the way to the ball. It's not terribly hard and everything is fairly easy to access.

layinthesmack31 said:
Ok here is an update.

I took the car out to drive it today and i KNOW exactly where my vac leak is. I just dont know what it hooks too. Like i said it is off the pcv valve on the passenger side valve cover. It elbows off and points toward the passenger wheel well while the rest of it hooks into the back of the plenum. I can hear it whistle when i drive the car. But all i have to go on is just the little elbow that looks like it should have a line connected to it. I can get a vac line but i dont know what it hooks too. Please someone help me out here cause the idle is still high when the car is in park but when u put it in drive it does drop down but still idles higher than it should. please help.

Thanks
Matt

I had the same problem

Mine was caused by the Mass airflow sensor(MAF)
located in front of the air pick-up tube

ok here is a pic of the pcv that i cant figure out where it hooks. I have the one bending up hooked up but the one bending to the left i dont know where it goes. PLEASE HELP

Matt

Attachments

• DSC00229.JPE
    DSC00229.JPE
    14.7 KB · Views: 134
Randeeofdawoods said:
That line runs from the inlet behind the tb, supplying vacuum for the pcv valve. T'ed into that line is the vac supply for the vac canister in front of the passeger side front wheel. That canister is used for vac supply for hvac, cruise, and some other stuff. There should be a vac line coming from the passenger wheel well. The line will come off the pcv valve/line connection and appear to run off into the sheet metal. The lines runs from the pcv area to the front of the fender. If you remove the fender liner, you will see the vac ball and the vac lines. It's possible the vac line is broken, has slipped off the T, has a hole in it, or has come off the vac ball. I'd suggest pulling the passenger fender liner and following the line to make sure it is unbroken all the way to the ball. It's not terribly hard and everything is fairly easy to access.

This is exactly the way I read it out of the Chiltons vacuum diagram. Ties to the cprv valve :confused: and then vacuum cannister. :)

the one you have marked "I can't find where this goes to" is exactly what I said. There is a vac line comeing from the passenger fender that connects to that port and goes to the vac ball in the fender well. Look around. Buried around the EEC test connector(early SC's) and fuel injection harness connector should be that vac line. The line COULD have broke or been pulled into the fender. The area behind the pass shock tower in front of the firewall is where the line should be. If it is not, pull the fender liner and look for it. It may have slipped back and is there waiting for you.

Ok i took the fender liner off and here is a pic of where i have it hooked into. it runs into the return plenum. I swear this is where i took it off at cause i had a cracked hose there and had to replace the hose. Please view and help. I also attached a photo of where the pcv elbow is in relation to everything. please help i wanna get this thing on the road. thanks

Matt

Attachments

• DSC00230.JPE
    DSC00230.JPE
    15.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00231.JPE
    DSC00231.JPE
    15.1 KB · Views: 91
Ok guys now i have the SC out of it again trying to see if i can find where the elbow hooks. I found the ball thing in the fender and it has a hose coming out of it that is hooked to a little connector behind the return plenum then there is a second line that comes off that and runs back towards thepassenger side and goes through the firewall. I did however notice when i took the SC top and inter cooler tube off that when i loosened the nuts on holding it to the intercoold that i could turn the spanner nut by hand. I tightend it down too when i installed it. Would that cause the High idle? Is there any place i can get a spanner wrench? like autozone? or what could i use to tighten it up? i tried using a hammer and a board but that obviously didnt get it as tight as it needed to be. Right now i have a hose connected to the elbow on the pcv line with a screw in the end and that didnt do anything at all. Please someone help me haha :) i wanna rip this baby up and down the road with the new ported blower :D thanks

Matt

Yea, the loose spanner can cause that problem. I have redone 3 motors and done them all with a board and hammer and had no problems with them coming loose. Just don't beat it until it breaks. Beat it until it stops and be firm. You're not knocking 40 penny nails into concrete.
As for the vacuum port, plug it. The vac line going into the firewall supplies vac for the hvac. The other line you said goes into the return plenum I do not think should be there. It should be on the inlet, behind the tb(the unidentified open port you have). REason is this is a vacuum supply system. Putting the hose on the return will feed pressurized air to the vac ball, killing your hvac and cruise and probably a couple other things. That ball holds a vacuum created by negative pressure behind the tb as air is drawn into the engine.
Let me look this up for you.

If that line plugs into the pcv then can i plug the one that is on the back of the inlet? Because it already ha a hose running to it but it kinda splits offto the one that come from inside the fender. Do u think somone else would have hooked it up wrong before because i know that line was there because i had to replace it cause it cracked. It did seem weird how the new hose had to be bent so much. Please let me know if i can just cap where it is plugged in now. thanks

Matt

just put a damn cap over it if you can't find where the hose goes, you'll be fine, but i think your problem is elsewhere. I had that open all summer on my car and it idled just fine.

Back