AOD Transmission questions

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
For those that don't know, I found nice chunks of metal in my transmission pan after my tranny failure. Anyway, I need to flush or replace the entire cooling system. Here are my questions.

OK, I'm sure it's been posted several times (and I searched for it), but of the 2 ports on the tranmission that the lines are connected to, which is the supply to the cooler? Top or Bottom?

Also, any tips on how to full my tranny cooler? I'm replacing the stainless steel braided lines, but I'm not replacing the cooler (too damn expensive).

i'm not sure which one is the supply to the cooler, but it shouldn't really matter which direction you flush it; you will have both lines disconnected when the tranny is out anyway. You can get aerosol transmisson cooler flush at just about any parts store ( i.e. NAPA).. looks kind of like the can that fix a flat comes in. before you put the trans back in, attatch the hose on the cooler flush to one of the cooler lines (where it attatches to the trans) and flush until it comes out the other cooler line. That way you are flushing both the cooler and the lines.

kevenj90sc said:
i'm not sure which one is the supply to the cooler, but it shouldn't really matter which direction you flush it; you will have both lines disconnected when the tranny is out anyway. You can get aerosol transmisson cooler flush at just about any parts store ( i.e. NAPA).. looks kind of like the can that fix a flat comes in. before you put the trans back in, attatch the hose on the cooler flush to one of the cooler lines (where it attatches to the trans) and flush until it comes out the other cooler line. That way you are flushing both the cooler and the lines.

Let me elaborate. My transmission cooler is not a tube and fin style, which I'm confident that could be flushed wither direction without any adverse effects. My transmission cooler is a stack plate cooler (like a radiator) and had smaller openings. If there are already pieces of metal wedged into the small tubes, I don't want to force them in further by flushing on the wrong side.

Will that transmission cooler flush work good enough to flush the stainless steel lines that I have, or should I be concerned the pieces of metal could be embedded in the rubber core of the line.

On the transmission, the top line on is the outlet, and the bottom the inlet.

Kurt K said:
Let me elaborate. My transmission cooler is not a tube and fin style, which I'm confident that could be flushed wither direction without any adverse effects. My transmission cooler is a stack plate cooler (like a radiator) and had smaller openings. If there are already pieces of metal wedged into the small tubes, I don't want to force them in further by flushing on the wrong side.

Will that transmission cooler flush work good enough to flush the stainless steel lines that I have, or should I be concerned the pieces of metal could be embedded in the rubber core of the line.

Back