lost overdrive on my tranny.

creeperxr7

well after taking my trannys valve body off to change gaskets...my overdrive gear went out ,,, i goes trough all gears fine but then it slipps in od.... but it worked well before itook the valve body of any suggestions on what could of i did wrong thanks before hand...

I installed a shift kit in my 94 and am having the same problem. I think it has something to do with the instructions saying to leave the #8 check ball out. I'll let you know if I find a solution. I would ask if you're shure you put everything back into the correct locations, as that might have something to do with it. I dunno. Good luck, we both need that.

thanks man and good luck to u to .. also ill let u know if i come accross any solutions,,,,,. keep u updated

the ford manual says that the valve body has to be correctly torqued or you may warp it and cause leakage, causing the problems you have

the ford manual says that the valve body has to be correctly torqued or you may warp it and cause leakage, causing the problems you have

Alright, pretty t'd. Dropped the valvebody, re-installed the #8 checkball. De-tuned the kit to the #2 setting, and still no OD. WTF? I hate friggin ford automatics. With my 90 xr7 auto, I went through 3 transmissions in a year. Go figure, we just don't get along. Maybe I'll do a 5spd swap, and enjoy this car once again.

What about the gaskets.

What are the differences between the 4r70w and the aode gaskets? I know the trannys themselves are different slightly, but I would figure the 94-95 would be a 4r70w. It had the parts it was supposed to that I had swapped. I know my friend told me what he was told from a tranny shop, and that is that up til the end of 95, most 4r70w's were aode's. I doubt this, but I'm wondering if switching the gaskets may give me my OD back. It didn't slip before, and now it's gone because of this friggin shift kit.

Overdrive found!

Well, after talking to a mr. transmisison tech, we determined what the problem was. The fairbanks / superior transmission shift kit comes with an array of new peices, one of which is a new overdrive servo. If when re-installing the servo, you don't correctly line up the notch in the overdrive band, it wont be able to engage, and will rest along side of the OD band itself. So If anyone else ends up installing a new OD servo, be sure you correctly line up the notch in the OD band.

Creeperxr7, what year and type is your transmission? I was asking some questions on your behalf, but without enough info, I couldn't say too much.

its an 89 aod tranny but the only thing i took of was the valve body never took the od servo off, thats whats so strange bout me loosing od in my tranny if never messed with it ..just replaced the gaskets for the valve body...

Back