pulling engine

skoelker

hey guys, i'm new here. just got a 93 t-bird sc,picked it up for $500 because a rod is knocking, and it needs body work. i was wondering if the engines are hard to get out of these cars, and if anyone knows any tricks to make it simpler.. gonna start on it in a few weeks after the cast comes off my arm.. thanks in advance

shannon

Well the engine should come out pretty easy, it's all the stuff that has to come off the engine that's a pain.

thanks for that, does anyone have any tips for making the job easier than it seems.. the instructions i have say to remove the wiper module assy. and things like hat, what little tricks are there if any?? thanks for any help

One thing I have found that helps, is to raise the bak of the car. This puts the nose down, and reduces the angle you need to tilt the engine when coming out. It also alows you to pull it in a low ceiling garage. With the rear up, someone can guide the transmission in/out also since there is a lot of room this way.

You can see the angle in the picture below. It puts the front bumper down to just clear the cherry picker.

pullit.jpg

also, this car has an automatic trans, will it be easier to just leave the trans in the car, or does it pull with the engine fairly easily?? which would be the easiest for removal and installation??

I always pull/install these engines with the transmissions attached. The bellhousing bolts aren't the easiest to get to (although I've done it that way a few times too). In my opinion though, it's easier to keep the engine/trans together.

-Rod

Like someone said earlier, removing all stuff is the pain. I attached a couple pics to give you an idea of the angle. You will need some kind of equalizer to get any kind of angle. I had mine jacked about 20" in the air all the way around. My garage ceiling is ten feet and I had just enough room. That was with working the equalizer a lot.

Dialup warning - this pics are large.

http://members.cox.net/mechanicdbd/engine change/PICT0023.JPG

http://members.cox.net/mechanicdbd/engine change/PICT0024.JPG

Later
Denny

Back