Tint - Issues

Mike8675309

I'm looking to redo the tint in my car. The car came from a state where 35% VLT was legal so that's what's on the car right now. (Bubbling and peeling)

Minnesota on the other hand is 50% VLT all around, max.

Anyone running just 50% and happy? I haven't been able to find pictures of a car with 50% tint and I'm just thinking it's not going to be all that great.

i dont even think youll notice the 50% tint at all. IMO i'd just take it to a tint shop and let them completely remove the tint. It doesnt cost much at all.

In Iowa you have to let at least 70% of the light pass through...so 30% tint max for

the front windshield and the driver and passenger doors...

The back doors or windows and the back windshield can be as dark as you want there is no limit....

I would think 50% is better than nothing I have 30% on my front windshield and am really happy with it ... When it is sunny out and has snowed it rellay helps to cut the glare down ... Course you could always put on some sunglasses...

Nothing on driver and pass door...Completely black side windows and back windshield... I like tint just something about it that makes a car look faster richer and cooler....

5% on back 3, 20% on front 2, 35% on windshield

DSC00191.jpg

The percents typically reference the visual light transfer. So in Iowa, if it's truly that 70% should go, then that tint is called 70%.

Tazer999, anything on the front windows In most states is very illegal. Ever get a ticket? Some states impound the vehicle.

I can pull the tint off myself if I'm going to leave it clear. But even some is better than nothing so I'll for sure go at least 50%.

I'd go more if I didn't think I might get targeted. Watching cars around here there seem to be many with darker tint.

Yeah I saw people get tickets.....

Sometimes we get dealer cars from out of state where there are no laws for tint so they have all the windows blocked out ....Illegal here ....$45.00 fine and you have to remove the tint....

My windshield looks like it came from the factory with tint between the glass ... I only say that because have reason to believe this car was made in canada and they have more sunlight and snow at certain times of the year and it is brighter... Yeah Mike8675309 I would put some tint on....

$45, man that must be nice... I cought my car in Jersey and got it inspected in PA, never mentioned anything about the tint. I was coming home from college one day, had been in Pennsylvania under a mile and got pulled over for my tint!!! I guess in PA you can only 30% tint, or it can only block 30% of the light coming through for the back windows, nothing on the front windows. O, and the reason $45 sounds so nice is it's $115 per window in PA. :eek: :eek: :eek:

In michigan you can't have anything on the front widows or you risk a ticket. I have the back windows and the top of my windshield to my mirror tinted on my 92 all limo black. My 90 SC I have every window limo black and the windshield a little farther than the mirror. I've gotten tickets before for it, they are $95.00. In the town I live in now the cops are strict about it.

What do the cops say about the SUV's and vans that come with factory 20% tint on their rear windows? Do they issue tickets to people who have smoked glass rather than tint? I'd do the backs *** black and not worry about it, they don't require cargo vans to have windows they can see in do they? I would think as long as the driver is visible you should be alright.

I have 35% all the way around and I am happy with it. Never gotten a ticket yet, but have been warned about it. I will be takaing the car in to have the windsheild done 35% to match once the car is driveable again

Tinted windshields :eek: ! I could not imagine seeing through that on a cloudy day or at night!

My car was from Wisonson where 50% was legal on the front-side windows, 35% was legal on the rear & rear-side.

My car is actually tinted the same all the way around, excluding the windshield. I believe it is 35%.

I have never been bothered by police in IL for my tint, even when getting pulled over and having written warnings for things I did not do in the first place, lol. I roll both windows down and turn on interior lights when police approach so they do not percieve a threat to their safety.

In my opinion, the difference between a 50% and a 30% when viewing from an appearance standpoint will not be significant. Both will look pretty dark from the side, and add similar characteristics to the appearance of your car. I believe a 50% tint would be 'accented' more by a bright color however, such as silver (my favorite for tint), white or similar.

Hope that helps Mike..

look at the pics on my member page that are in front of the plane. my front windows are 50% and my backs are 5% limo black. i tinted mine in NY where the legal limit is 70% which is virtually clear. the 50% is just enough to know that it's tinted.

Time to get them redone Jeremy. I believe the legal limit here is 20%. The police don't really enforce it too much though so you could probably go darker. ;)

PS: That new pic is before I lowered it and took off the mudflaps. Looks different now, :D Its gone down to an even 2.5" drop all the way around which is how it will stay (Will get pics of it soon with its new tires also. 255/50/16 which measure 10.1" across, :D)

yah 16" Boyd Coddingtons

Attachments

• DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 115
Digital Chaos, your windows look like a 20% to me. They are black but not as black as limo which is 5%. 35% and lighter has a gray shade to it. Yours look more black than gray from the pics.

I want to stay safe. So no windshield for me. I don't know of a state that DOESN'T let you tint all windows very dark if you have a note from a doctor. But then those people shouldn't be driving after dark.

My car is black, so likely 50% will look pretty light compared to the dark body around it.

The point of the post was to see if anyone has pics of their car with 50%, and to see what/if any types of problems people have experienced with the law if they were running effectively illegal tints.

Note that nearly all the laws I've seen talk about coatings applied to the windows after original manufacturing. Thus if Ford sticks it on there, it's legal, no matter how dark. (I.E., all the SUV's going around with dark windows) Some states also give exclusions for VAN's. Most states give exclusions for the rear windows on Pickup Trucks.

I tried to say my tint was factory installed and the popo told me that there is no such thing, the dealers install it. I don't know if that's true or not, just what the cop said.

My note just says I am sensitive to light, *shrug* That way I can have it as dark as I want but still drive at night with it

I had a doctors note when I was 19. I used it a few times and got let go. But now the cops will write you a ticket and you have to bring proof of a re-exam to get it cleared. Most people won't pay the money for a re-exam so they are screwed. I got the note signed by a doctor as a favor from a friend of a friend who's girlfriend works for an eye doctor. I don't think I could get a re-exam if I tried.

Ever see a car hauler go by with new cars and they have factory tint. They are being sent to a dealer from the manufacturer and they have smoked glass. Dealer tint my ***. Some dealers will put tint or change wheels on cars to target them to a specific client. But most SUV's you buy new have factory smoked glass.

Back