rivlee opinion

turbospeed

hey lee im installing a pair of bilstein shocks in the front i havent been able to find the rears. im also planning to install a rear STB ,will it give any weird habdling will i need a front stb? also im looking at the rear load bar , what do you think of it....

thanks in advance.

Hey Daniel, I have front and rear Bilsteins and I like them a lot. You may want to try Shox.com for them as they are the cheapest place I've seen and they are only in El Cajon so it wouldn't be a bad drive for you. As far as installing STB's in front and rear I would swap out the stock springs first for a set of H&R's or something comparable. Shox.com has lowering springs also. If you are really looking to improve you car's handling, STB's would be okay but I would also look for or have someone make you some subframe connectors.

Val

damn youre lucky the bilsteins are out of production i got one of the last front sets , now im looking for a set of rears an no one has them , tried all the online stores. if now i may up using the cobra 03 shocks.
also i cant use lowering springs since some i need the clearance but if we get rid of the huge speedbump in my street i look into it.
thats why i wa slooking at the STB's

btw how does it ride with the bilsteins?
will the ride get harsher with STB's or subframe connectors??

Koni's may be a viable alternative for you if you haven't considered them. There is no difference in ride quality under normal conditions. But...you can really tell the difference when you put it through some windy roads like the trip we did from Escondido to Julian last year. I don't think STB's will have as noticable effect in ride quality as say stiffer sway bars but then again I don't have any. Lee can probably give more insight on that. I will be having some subframe connectors made as soon as I get new my motor together.

Man, I've got a lot of catching-up to do.

The Bilstein's are probably the best bet if you don't care about ride quality for cruising around town or the highway. I'm keeping the Tokico adjustables because of my bad back. (I know Al, I'm a wuss. :rolleyes: )

That's also part of the reason I went with the Eibach springs - they're progressive, so under cruising conditions, they feel stock, but when pushed, stiffen up very nicely. :cool:

For stabilizer bars, because of the inherent understeering character of the SC, I'd only increase the rear to 1 1/4".

I don't know if you can still get the Kenny Brown front shock tower brace, but I would highly recommend that to better keep the front end planted flat.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, Lee

Edited - The Bilstein's are no longer available. :eek:

Last edited:
rivlee said:
The Bilstein's are probably the best bet if you don't care about ride quality for cruising around town or the highway. I'm keeping the Tokico adjustables because of my bad back. (I know Al, I'm a wuss. :rolleyes: )

That's also part of the reason I went with the Eibach springs - they're progressive, so under cruising conditions, they feel stock, but when pushed, stiffen up very nicely. :cool:

For stabilizer bars, because of the inherent understeering character of the SC, I'd only increase the rear to 1 1/4".

I don't know if you can still get the Kenny Brown front shock tower brace, but I would highly recommend that to better keep the front end planted flat.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, Lee
I aint saying squat, my back is KILLING me right now. 'nother car accident :rolleyes: I was a passenger AGAIN, bird's fine.

I've done some more research....

Fast Eddie, who's more knowledgable than me, recommends the Koni's. They're mechanically adjustable which means you can adjust front and rear differently. That could be a good thing to allow dial-in of under/oversteer. :cool:

I don't think putting Koni's on the rear with Bilstein's on the front would give a problem. It should still allow you to fine tune the handling. AND It's hard to get at the adjustment on the fronts, but easy on the rear. ;)

I'm getting a thumping in my front end which I'm going to have looked at this week. I don't think it's a strut (probably one of the joints), but the struts are the originals with over 100K on them. I might just get crazy and go with the Koni's myself. :confused:

Lee

BTW: Al, you've got to choose your drivers more carefully. :rolleyes:

rivlee said:
Fast Eddie, who's more knowledgable than me, recommends the Koni's. They're mechanically adjustable which means you can adjust front and rear differently. That could be a good thing to allow dial-in of under/oversteer. :cool:

I don't think putting Koni's on the rear with Bilstein's on the front would give a problem. It should still allow you to fine tune the handling. AND It's hard to get at the adjustment on the fronts, but easy on the rear. ;)

I'm getting a thumping in my front end which I'm going to have looked at this week. I don't think it's a strut (probably one of the joints), but the struts are the originals with over 100K on them. I might just get crazy and go with the Koni's myself. :confused:

Lee

BTW: Al, you've got to choose your drivers more carefully. :rolleyes:

dude, they were cute andwere willing to put out :p

turbospeed said:
yeah theyre names were Michael , Arturo and Mario. jajajaj :p
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, NO! Although your faggadocious fantasies might appeal to other fudge packing *** pirates, I still enjoy the company of beautifull women :)

Back