Strange chatter(?) from engine

SCme

Need a little help, best way I can describe the sound is, its like a diesel running and you can here that chatter they make.

Here is when it happens, under very light load starting around 2500 rpms in any gear. Doesn't do it under heavy acceleration or under decelertion. Guesses have been rocker arm, lifter and/or maybe valve spring. Pulled the valve covers off and all rocker arms are tight except one on driver's side and it has just a little bit of motion side to side. None have any up/down play, but we did not rotate the motor at all, just checked as it stopped.

What kind of gas are you using??? and are you sure it's not comming from the M90??....just spittballing here :rolleyes:

Rick in FL :cool:

always high stuff in the 4 years I've owned this one. I was thinking the SC before, but pulled the belt and it still make the same noise. Thought exhaust, but its more in the engine compartment, even thought 5spd, but it will do it in or out of gear, clutch engaged or disengaged.

On a side note, how can one tell if the lifters are good?

Have you checked for a loose heat sheild on the cats?
When they rattle, it does sound like it's coming from the engine compartment.
:)

I have a similar noise comming from my engine. '90 5-spd.

Upon taking off from a complete stop (taking off as slowly as possible) when the rpm's drop, there is a diesel style chatter/clatter comming from the engine. Only hear it when taking off from a stop and letting the rpm's drop way low.

Don't know if we have the same chatter, but from reading your description, it brought my noise to mind. Car, otherwise, runs well. just my .02

The exhaust is something I hope to eliminate this Friday, going to drop the front section from cats to resonator. Fire it up with open headers and hope to hear/not hear the noise

Someone else said it sounded like a wristpin gone bad... Which means a rebuild

rattle

My 89 did the exact same thing after a rebuild,except worse ,the only time you did not here it was under acceration. I had an entire spare motor, so I changed out the super charger and it completely stopped.

Back