how do i replace this pipe?

GREATWHITE666

ok, this is going to be tough for me to explain, but i just found a leak in this hose, it carries the antifreeze, it's very short, i have a 95 sc (i dont know if it's different on the earlier models) but, this hose, comes out of the engine block to the left of the sc, (if looking at the car head on) the hose lies right behind the ac compressor, it's about and inch in diameter. it is rubber for about 8 inches or so until it turns into metal and goes under the intake tube. my question is: when this tube goes from rubber to metal, is it connected with some weird metal device. this rubber hose on the end that comes out of the ening is connected with a hose clamp, and when it changes to metal, it is connected with a piece of metal, and the rubber part is the part i have a hole in and is squirting antifreeze, so how do i replace just this little rubber part? i dont understand this weird metal attachment. i havent taken it off yet so im not sure at all,
if anyone can even begin to comprehend the little tube i am talking about, i would love for you to help me,, thanks so much

From the sounds of it, it's your coolant line that runs from your intake manifold to your heater core. Does the hose have a sensor in it? If so, you will probably have to order this part from the dealer. Most auto part stores don't carry the coolant lines with the metal ends. Snap up a pic if ya can, it will help greatly.

yes!

i think u hit it right on the head, awesome! yes the tube goes from rubber on the intake manifold to metal with a sensor sticking out of it,,,, u got it, i have to rder that from the dealer? but thank you, at least i know now, any idea on the part numebr or anything? thank you!
-damon

You can replace it with an all rubber hose. This line also has a small line that goes to the throttle body which you can delete.

but

what about the sensor though, doesnt it screw right into the original metal tube? i hate this stupid metal connector... it's soooo.... FORD! do u think i could just cut the metal connector off and get a piece of rubber hose and connect it back to the rest of the metal tube with a hose clamp? if anyone has any other ideas, throw em out, i need all ic an get, thanks for the replies, you guys are aweomse----
Damon

Damon,

Mine was leaking right at where the rubber and metal meet, right under that metal crimp clamp(?). The 2 dealers I called said the part is no longer in the system, but if it was, they said it would be around $150, this is the whole thing, metal tube to intake.

If I understand correctly, the rubber hose has a hole that you can see. We cut that metal clamp off with some snips and put a normal clamp. You should be able to take that crimp clamp off that end and just replace the hose with a new piece.

You probably don't have to replace the whole part. When mine went I found a kit either at autozone or advance, but I think it was autozone. Anyway it came with everything necessary to splice in a new piece of hose. The kit is made specifically for our application. I want to say it was well under $20 too including the new prebent piece of hose. This was a couple years ago though so I could be a little off on any part of it.

This is an 89, I don't know if a 95 is any different. This whole hose can be replaced with a rubber hose. You can see in the middle where the throttle body coolant T has been blocked off. Originally I was going to use this but now I think I will replace mine with all rubber hose since the original is so corroded and the rubber heater hose is so cheap.

coolantline.jpg

thank you

Scme, that was my original thought to see if i could remove that weird clmap and just put on a regualr hose clamp with a new hose, how does it come off? i havent reid yet, but does it screw or do i just pull it? byt the way, what does this tube do? where is it carrying the antifreeze.. just curious.
fivaxis, it's hard to tell in that pic, i dont see that weird clamp on yours, i just see regular hose clamps... not sure-- thanks for the replies though guys, any other thoughts, throw em in, im gonna try to get this job done today, i hate driving around with bottles of fluids in the back seat.
-Damobn

ok

ok yanked it off, got a new pipe, only thing is, i had to bend it tightly to fit, will pressure be able to push the pipe back to original size on the bend? it looks like it's gonna restrict a little, the other one was nice and rounded where it bended, but it mightve been from the pressure for so long,, these hoses dont need to be pre-bent do they?
-damon

Its a real thin metal, so some type of small tin snips or I think we used some needle nose pliers and just keep picking at it. I believe it is a heater hose, and the sensor in the middle of the metal pipe, I think is for the auto climate, so when the coolant heats up, it will then start blowing the warm heat instead of blowing straight cold air.

cool

well i bought some pipe and clamps for about 2 bucks, so i didnt mind that, the tube is still a little pinched but i drove it around and everythign seems to be fine, thanks so much for all the help guys---
Damon

Back