Ok I did a dumb thing

darriantbird

Linkage problem

I was showing off my car ' I was doing about 50 and slammed it down into first and punched it (aod ) .When I went to turn around I could not get it out of reverse ,got her towed home and started to investigate,well to make along story short the linkage rocker arm will spin all the way around 360 degrees anclicks like its going through the gears , in short what did I do I am no tranny man can the mechanism in side be fix easily ,one side note I can change the gear it in still if it catches right but not consisantly .

Last edited:
well the good thing is u didnt spun out like i did... :rolleyes:
i downshifted at around 65 MPHs and im guessing the REVS were too high for the wheels and bam i spun out. No harm done though. it was on the freeway too in moderate traffic.
well at fifty u would downshift to second gear but ur RPMS would be around the redline. im guessing ur gonna have to take off ur tranny pan and see if anything came loose. if not then im guessing its gonna have to be popped open and gonna have to put a magnafying glass over it. Its wierd though that that happened to u. All that happend on mine was that i spun out and thats it. The car started normally. that was about 4 months ago. My recent downshift was against a FOCUS. All the car did was JOLT to the side because again the revs were too high and the wheels in the back im guess started to slip. I saw my redline at around 6200 RPMS and the UPSHIFT LIGHT was blinking. i got the car back under control with no problems. Just watch it dude. be careful downshifting like that. ur gonna have to use common sense next time. check the tranny pan and if no problem then u can take off the valve body... which is fairly easy and get a super high power flash light to check out and see if anything came loose. just a thought. if not then i have a SC tranny is rebuilt. ;)

Thats ok. A few years ago a friend of mine was going to buy a pristine automatic 89 or 90 black XR7 for about 3k; he worked at the dealership. Then some idiot took the car out on a testdrive before he bought it and slammed the trans into second gear at 90+ mph. The car actually made it back, but the trans would not shift out of whatever gear it was in. Repair costs prevented the purchase by my friend, and the car eventually went unaccounted for.

Last edited:
One thing this is an auto tranny guys

Iam looking for some expertise in tranny work .What I am asking is how do I repair the linkage arm (it spins all the way around ) and I am able to engage the gears if it catches just right.

Mike3.8SC is the resident AOD expert. What little I know of the situation sounds like the shaft that engages the manual slider valve in the valve body broke and the very minimum you'll have to do is drop the pan and valve body.

You could also ask over on the Ford Tranny Forum if Mike can't, participate here.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/260730

HMMMM??? here ya go kiddies
Old school test for red-line =put car into first gear take up to 50mph look @ tach this ='s your redline. Why would you even think about shifting into first @ 50mph??
stop it :eek:

OK, did some checking and Mike hasn't posted since 4/17, so I think we can assume that he's not going to participate here. Your best bet would then be to try that Ford Tranny forum I linked earlier.

shifted

I don't think my aod would go into first at that speed. Mine would drop to 2nd, but that's it. It would not go down into 1st. Did it actually shift down into 1st when this happened?

David

David you're right. The govenor in the tranny would not let it shift down to 1st gear at 50 MPH. You may physicaly move the shift lever to the L or 1 posistion but the govenor will not allow the tranny to shift into 1st at that speed. You done a very bad thing to your tranny and I have no idea why you would even do such a thing. Can you post a pic of this thing you say spins 360 deg because I'm not sure what you're talking about. :confused:

You know the lever on the tranny that the cable hooks up to?And yeah 4Kneutral drop :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: racing and breaking not just breakin for no reason!!!

Back