fan wiring..

darkstar_one

anyone have the fan wiring for a 91 SC. i see the fan has 3 wires... BLACK > GROUND YELLOW? RED? what are those for? i herd something about cutting a number 14 cable somehwere and the fan comes on with the ignition. whats that about? anyone?

Cutting that wire is in reference to the wire harness on the IRCM module located behind the passenger side head light area. I believe the wire is in a different pin location on different years. I did this on my 94'. I used a relay that breaks the connection on that wire when I press a switch from inside. If you need help wiring the relay let me know.

If you cut the #14 wire on the IRC the low speed fan will run all the time. I wired up a dual fan control for my 90 SC. One for the low speed fan and one for the high. You do not want the high speed fan coming on without the low speed coming on first because it will kill the fan. I bought two flex-a-light fan controls from a parts store for $40 each and set the low at 185 and the high at 198. I like this cause I have full control of the temp of my car. I also have a 180 thermostat.

check this out... pretty much there are 3 wires right... black yellow and red.... what the hell does the red and yellow have to do with anything? im trying to get the low fan to switch on with ignition. I have an extra aftermarket fan that i am installing sometime next week that i will rig it so it can come on with ignition also. i just need to know which wire is for low speed. because im sure that if the other wire gets power to it it will spin it faster right? am i right folks?

The #14 wire on the IRC is the low speed fan wire. Cut it and your low speed fan will run all the time the key is on.

I would say both. It might run too cold on a cool day and I think that it would burn out the fan quicker as it will run all the time. I have heard of lots of people doing it with no troubles. It is your choice but I like having control over the temp my car operates at.

In front of the air box is the IRC. If you look at that and find the #14 wire, I think it is brown and orange (I think find out before you cut it) cut that and it will come on when ever the key is on. Get a manual and it will tell you the color of the wire.

SCaddict, did you wire the flex-a-lite switch to the #14 wire or did you follow the instructions with the unit. :confused:

You can not follow the instructions on the kit. They are for an older car with a regular fan and it's for when you switch to an electric fan. Send me your email address and I will send you a drawing of it.

I just finished wiring in the flex-a-lite fan temp control switch to the IRC #14 wire. This set up works great!!!!! I set it to come on about 185 deg. Thanks for all the help in the post. :)

well i cut the #14 wire and the needle barely goes up now. Before you could feel a heat wave coming from underneath the car now u cant. seems a cooler engine makes a big difference. now u can use the number 14 wire to turn on a fan?

Thumpjimmy

Do the same for the high speed fan and set it for like 198 and you have the best of both worlds.

Darkstar

You can wire a switch to the #14 wire and control it manually or get an adjustable one and have it come on at any temp you want automatically. You should also run a 180 thermostat.

I did the real simple solution of adding a manual rocker switch that opens and closes the #14 wire. I just watch the temp gauge and keep it where I want it. Works great. I've had it for a couple of years now. I don't run the fan all the time - only when the gauge gets up near the middle. I almost never turn it on in the winter - the engine would stay too cool.

Jon

Back