Did I kill my tb?

Shooter_Jay

My TB was filthy inside so I cleaned it with carb cleaner. Then I noticed the warning sticker on it that basically said don't clean it with carb cleaner or it'll die. Why would ford do this to me, there better be a good reason. Do I need a new tb now? Also, what would it cost and what would I need to upgrade my maf, tb, fpr, bigger pump, bigger injectors, and anything else I would have to modify on my stock(except after-market cats and no res)? How much power increase might I expect?

Probably not, I cleaned out the TB on my old car with carb cleaner, no problems. Just let it dry before you start it up.

by the way, the warning sticker says not to clean it because there is a special coating inside the tb, what's that about?

I took the sensors off mine and soaked the throttle body itself in a degreaser tank for 3 days. The IAC you need to be careful with cuz if you get a product that reacts with plastic you'll damage the IAC and have to pay $96.00 for a new one from Ford. Other than that its fine to clean it.

Shooter_Jay said:
by the way, the warning sticker says not to clean it because there is a special coating inside the tb, what's that about?

In addition to the plastic in the IABV mentioned previously, Ford put a thin coating on the inside ot the throttle body bore to help delay the formation of deposits like carbon. Notice "delay" instead of "eliminate".

Anyway, some cleaners will strip this coating off and result in an increase in carbon formation. OTOH the coating wasn't working anymore so I don't see much reason to worry about it. Since we're enthusiasts cleaning the TB occasionally isn't a big deal. Not like the put-gas-in-it-and-go owner that takes it in to the dealer for every little bobble in operation.

Parker Dean said:
In addition to the plastic in the IABV mentioned previously, Ford put a thin coating on the inside ot the throttle body bore to help delay the formation of deposits like carbon. Notice "delay" instead of "eliminate".

Anyway, some cleaners will strip this coating off and result in an increase in carbon formation. OTOH the coating wasn't working anymore so I don't see much reason to worry about it. Since we're enthusiasts cleaning the TB occasionally isn't a big deal. Not like the put-gas-in-it-and-go owner that takes it in to the dealer for every little bobble in operation.

Yeah I totally agree. It's funny that you say that, just this morning I was putting something in the back seat of my new-to-me truck and a little squirt bottle of mopar glass cleaner rolled out from under the passenger front seat, no really, he had the factory glass cleaner lol, I gotta bust him monday, I work daily with the guy I bought it off of.

Back