Bolt up?

I'm pretty sure you can't because your computer doesn't know how to shift it. I read something about a separate computer that will shift it if you made the swap but what I read was saying even that way has problems. I don't remember the specifics though.

The 4R70W from a modular motor will have a different bellhousing pattern than the SC motor. So no, it will not bolt up. And as the other guys mentioned, you would need something to control it, as it is an electronically controlled transmission.

cheers,
Ed N.

I'd guess you might be able to put the wide ratio gear set from the 4r70w into the aod, but that's just a guess. I'd think more people would talk about doing it though if it was possible so maybe not. Anybody know for sure?

Yes, that can be done, Ford Racing Parts sells it in kit form under p/n M-7398-D. Not sure if the wide ratio would be beneficial for a high torque motor like the 3.8 SC though, I don't think they need that much gear spread for a low-revving engine.

cheers,
Ed N.

I never thought about it before but I'd say the non 4r70w standard ratio gearset would probably be better for drag racing anyway? I've never drag raced mine, it's just my daily driver. Maybe this summer if I get it running right finally. Closest track to me is I'd guess at least two hours away that I know of. This weekend I've been tearing mine down, I just pulled the injectors out of the fuel manifold. It's been interesting to say the least. I should be able to pull it off. Many digital pictures and many tagged ziploc bags of fasteners should more than offset the amount of beer I have consumed in the process. :eek:

Back