Stumped on Competition Limited Harness

Wings Dirty

I installed the Comp. Limited Harnes, and it works fine.

Well.. Almost fine.

All four headlights come on when set to high beam, and all is squared away... UNTIL I turn the fog lamps on. When I do that, the highs stay on, but the Lows go off and the Fog lamps don't work. When I switch it to Low beam only, the fog lamps and the low beams light up (the highs go off, of course).

Anyone with a Comp. limited harness had this happen to you before?

The guy at competition limited told me that I have wired something wrong. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist with a PhD in Quantum Physics to hook up 2 input plugs, 4 output plugs, 4 grounds and 2 positives.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Actually I think that is the legal way. Unless I'm mistaken, all factory driving lights on all vehicles shut off when the high-beams are on and come back on when switched to the low-beams. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have high-beams and driving lights on at the same time, though I've never heard of anybody getting in trouble for it.

You wired the harness correctly. The plugs are keyed so they'll only fit to the correct mate.

The Comp LTD harness does exactly what it says it will do - you can turn on your high and low beams on at the same time. All four lights will light up, as you've discovered - until you introduce the fogs!!

This is a safety feature Ford designed into their vehicles because they used weak switches that will burn if too much is on them. Hence the solution to have something go off when you turn the high beams on.

The only way you will be able to have all four headlights and your fog lights on at the same time is to remove them from the headlamp curcuit. This can be done much the same way the Comp LTD harness works - 12V ign through the fog lamp switch triggers a 30amp relay to send 12V + to the lights.

Get ahold of the Dec 2000 Charging Thunder magazine - there is a "how to" article about rewiring your fog lamps and adding aftermarket lamps too.

Good luck.

Mark
'93 SC

lights.....

Wings,

I don't have the comp harness, but my lights were flickering on and off with the fog lights on, so I wired them independant of the headlights and now I can run them anytime. It looks cool when all you have on is them just when it's starting to get dark. I used the original switch and haven't had any problems so far. I do want the comp harness though :D

Good luck!!!!!

David

Thank you all for the help. I spoke to Comp. Limited, and the gentleman there was somewhat indifferent (to the point of rude) about my question. At first he implied that I didn't have the wire harness plugged in correctly. In only goes in ONE way, for crying out loud. Then, he told me "You must have a bad headlight switch, or some bad wiring". Bad Wiring? :confused:

Needless to say, Comp. Ltd. isn't getting any more of my business. Simply because they were rude. If he would have told me "Sir, the wiring harness is designed so that the foglamps do not to come on with the high beams", I would have said "Ok. Fair enough. Thank you for your help." But in his arrogant attitude, he NEVER mentioned that.

I did notice that if you leave the fog lamps on while you run the high beams, the little black box with two diodes and one resistor gets REALLY hot from the resistor. Hot to the point of melting.

Mark and David, thanks for the idea with putting the foglamps on a different circuit. I will have an electrician friend of mine see what he can come up with. Maybe even make it a harness assembly like Comp. Ltd.

Back