Questions about Turning crank by hand

ipeefreely

After blowing my head gaskets back in Feb. I'm finally ready to put the heads back on. I know that when you go to torque the rocker arms down the valves should both be in the closed position (compression stroke). In the manual it says to use a breaker bar to turn the crank to top dead center for piston # 1, I was wonder how people do that? Do you take the bolt out that in the centre of the damper and then put in a longer one, if so what size should I use? Or is there an easier way to turn the crank? Any suggestions?

I hope this was not to long and that someone could help me out.

Thanks,

Jay

No, you put the breaker bar on the crank bolt and turn it clock-wise only. If you miss you stop spot, go all the way around again, do not turn it backwards. Good luck

It is much easier to

Take the plugs out and rotate the motor with a breaker bar and it will turn freely. Otherwise, you are working against the compression.

When done, put in plugs and ready to go.

Don

Thanks

Thanks guys for the quick replies!

That’s kinda what I thought but the manual talks about taking out the bolt or something like that, which got me confused.

Jay

I used a 2 ft. breaker bar, 6" extension, and a 22mm socket. Works fine. Matter of fact I gotta go finish putting my new balancer on my 90 right now.

i just cranked all my rocker arms down tight i never turned it over it seems to run fine

Back