removing air silencer

darkstar_one

hey when people put on the bottom of their thingy about the mods to the that they have removed the air silencer, what exactly did you do and how does it look. did u just remove the damn thing and left the air box there or what? did u put on a FOCUS SHORT INTAKE with a CONE FILTER? anyone please? pictures would be nice. thanx

you can just remove the silencer and leave the stock air box if you want. or maybe you can get a scp fresh air kit, the focus intake, a mac intake. the possiblities are endless

wait but what effects does removing the air silencer have and just leaving the stock air box? i mean doesnt the air silencer force air up?

Maybe, but it is more of a restriction than it does good. Just take it out, you will be able to hear you blower much better.
Miller

You can remove the air silencer and then take the stock air box out and replce it with either a cold air intake already listed above or you could go the cheap route and just put a K&N cone filter on the end of the stock intake tube. I have a K&N filtercharger cone filter on mine thats for a LX 3.8. But I have to caution you if you remove the air silencer and the stock air box. I used to just have the air silencer in but one day I decided that it was time to pull it out. Then I took the car to the car wash (can you guess where this is going). I normally take it to one of those expensive car washes where people hand dry your car after it has come out. Well I got the same car wash as I alway get; the normal wash with underbody wash. after I drove out of the car wash I noticed something really funny on the way home. So when I got home I popped the hood to find that there was water all over the engine and by the filter. I then realized that I had almost hydralocked my engine! I have gotten this same car wash dozens of times and never had this happen, and it was the first time I had taken it there since I had taken out the air silencer. So I figured that the water must have come in from where the air silencer used to be, or that it was a freak insident.

Just a little word of advise.
Shane

I removed my silencer and have not had any problems with water getting into the engine compartment *knock on wood*. You won't notice any gains or losses so if you plan on keeping the stock intake/airbox you might as well just keep it in there.

Back