cleaning engine compartment

darkstar_one

hey what is the best way to clean the engine compartment. i herd about covering stuff and other stuff. what is the best thing to use? my engine has alot of dust in it thats why its covered in crap.

CD2 makes a good engine cleaning kit- it comes with a bottle of degreaser, and a bottle of detail spray. Engine should be warm- not hot. I like to cover up anything I don't want to get wet with "heavy duty" aluminum foil- coil pack, DIS, battery (use a plastic bag for the battery), tb sensors, maf, alternator, etc. Spray down with degreaser, let sit, then use medium pressure garden hose to rinse down. Let dry for ten min., then drive. Spray detailer and wipe away excess.

I did this at a u-wash-it car wash and drove away with no problems right after. But once I didn't cover the DIS and have problems afterwards...

Start with all the black plastic under the engine bay. Use a cleaner called "Simple Green" all over the engine and bay. Use it generously and let sit for 5 minutes. Use a brush to scrub dirtier areas. Rinse off and Wipe it all off very well. After your done wiping it off get out your can of WD-40 ......Sounds silly but spray a good amount of WD-40 onto a soft cloth. Wipe ALL of your plastics/rubber down with the wd 40. After wiping them clean use tire shine *foam* and cover the same plastic/rubber areas you wiped with wd-40. Let the foam sit till its basically just a liquid and wipe As for the fender wells and firewall.....use a type of spray wax to clean the area and keep dust and grime from settling on it all the time.

take a look at my member page to see a picture of my engine bay

yea it's a well known trick of the trade for vette guys. i have some other secrets im doing a write-up on. ill submit it to george. itll be nice to have a detailing article up. ;)

SIMPLE GREEN ROX!!! I use it everytime i wash my car got 2 cases of that stuff at sam's club makes the engine look all perty.

Simple Green does work great. I dilute it (bottle says up to 10:1) and it still works great. As a bonus, it's non-toxic!

yeah i covered the DIS and ALTERNATOR and MAF. I have some super concentrated DEGREASER i sprayed some and bam in 30 seconds u see a big ole ocean of crap just washing off the engine. The engine looks good but i wish i could of cleaned it more u know. Like around the water pump and valve covers and crap like that. Im going to do it again tommorow. Thanx for your input. ANy other stories?

omg did u read that post. now why the fudge would anyone wash their engine insides with water. that is the stupidest person i have ever known and i know alot of stupid people. i hope somebody took away his keys and his pink slip and gave that poor SC a better home.

LOL, that was nettlesd, he was just teasing. he puts up posts liek that every now and then to wake sccoa up a little ;) :D

I just take mine to the do it yourself carwash and spray some degreaser where needed and then blast it off with the pressure washer. After I get back home I wipe it all down and call it good until next time.

I'm probably risking an electrical short, but I only do it once or twice a year and so far so good.

David

PS: Darkstar...Duane was just making a joke. Actually he has one of the nicest looking SCs you'll ever see. To bad it runs like crap.

Back