Fuel Pressure Problem?

SC UL8R1990

This is for another member.....( Mansier ). Just trying to help out :)

Unfortunately I cannot get the car to run correctly. It seems to be fuel pressure/fuel pump related, but without the ace wrench of David Dalke (he's been traveling quite a bit) I am hopeless to figure it out. Here is what it does:

I can start it.
It runs for about 1 second and then dies.
At the fuel rail there is then almost 0 fuel pressure.
There is pressure there after I turn the key to "ON"

I can also keep it coughing by feathering the throttle.
Then it revs up a bunch
then coughs some more.

I have checked the wiring connections, plug wires, and plugged all the vacuum openings. Thoughts anyone! Help! Have to get this car on the track!

LM

Have you checked the emergency cut-off switch in the trunk. If that was pulled on accident, you'd have a similar problem. I doubt this is your problem, but maybe worth a check.

If there is almost 0 psi at the rail then there are a few things that come to mind, but I am just throwing out things. First, replace the fuel filter. Its cheap, easy, and probably wouldn't hurt to change anyway. Secondly, pull the vac. line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is gas in it. If so the regulator is bad. Thirdly, have someone turn the egnition on wile someone else is in the back listening for the fuel pump. If no noise is heard, then check all the fuses and relays related to the pump. If they are all good then your pump could be bad.

Shane

Sounds like your fuel level is too low, add 10 gallons and try again. Either that or you have a masive air leak. Good luck

Here's that latest! David was able to stop by for a few minutes. We found that the fuel pump wasn't sealed correctly, and that really cleared things up. However the car was still a bit evil. Then with a good air filter on it, it cleared up a bit more. Still not running well, but better. And sounds wicked at 4,000 RPM. We figure it the computer may be trying to learn all of the new parts and open exhaust. More to come...

LM

Back