Call to Arms for BBS visitors!!!

Duffy Floyd

SCCoA Lifetime Member
Two years ago while still the President of the TBSCEC I contacted Stewart Components to inquire if they would be willing to do a performance water pump for our application. I spoke with their Tech Rep Mr. Jack Wilson and he indicated there was no market. At that time I posted on associated boards and within 24 hours had over 60 pumps requested by various SC and XR-7 Owners. Mr. Wilson then asked me to send them a pump for development purposes which I did. I spoke to Mr. Wilson again today and he has no progress to report on their development. I asked if there was a way to bump this request up the priority list since 1) they had my pump, and 2) it has been 2 years since my request. Mr. Wilson indicated he could think of nothing until I suggested we as a community again show him there was a demand for the product.

Stewart's Q&A Forum is located at:
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/html/forum/default.asp

The thread is titled "Mr. Wilson: Per your request"

Please visit their site and post a reply to the thread if you are interested in a high performance application for the 3.8L SC engine. What had been proposed originally was a Stage One pump with an improved high efficiency impeller. We already have a hefty shaft on our stocker already.

Higher efficency impeller gives you more volume and flow hopefully resulting in more cooling margin for the motor.

I posted my interest.

Just wish this had started 8 months ago. I put on my new OEM water pump last weekend on my fresh from rebuild motor. I would of had more motivation to baddger Mr. Wilson.

Duffy, I checked out their web site and didn't find a good discription of the impeller. Might you know if the impeller on the Steward water pumps' is a cast peice or a stamped peice like our stockers are. I also noticed that they only seem to offer Stage 1 pumps for Fords. Might you know what kind of increase in flow rate is considered a "high flow" pump. There page seems light on hard numbers. But I would still be interested if we could even get a 5% increase in flowrate.

RichM

Last edited:
Duffy Floyd said:
Two years ago while still the President of the TBSCEC I contacted Stewart Components to inquire if they would be willing to do a performance water pump for our application. I spoke with their Tech Rep Mr. Jack Wilson and he indicated there was no market. At that time I posted on associated boards and within 24 hours had over 60 pumps requested by various SC and XR-7 Owners. Mr. Wilson then asked me to send them a pump for development purposes which I did. I spoke to Mr. Wilson again today and he has no progress to report on their development. I asked if there was a way to bump this request up the priority list since 1) they had my pump, and 2) it has been 2 years since my request. Mr. Wilson indicated he could think of nothing until I suggested we as a community again show him there was a demand for the product.

Duffy, Is the NA pump and the SC pump the same? If so then a shot over to the mustang crowd and the NA crowd at the TCCoA might be in order. It has been over 10 years since I had to pull the pump out of a NA 3.8L so I don't recall. I would think that the Mustang people alown would present a large enough customer base for Stewart to seriously consider making a pump. Just a thought.

RichM said:
Duffy, Is the NA pump and the SC pump the same? If so then a shot over to the mustang crowd and the NA crowd at the TCCoA might be in order. It has been over 10 years since I had to pull the pump out of a NA 3.8L so I don't recall. I would think that the Mustang people alown would present a large enough customer base for Stewart to seriously consider making a pump. Just a thought.

The pumps ARE different. I have compaired the one from my 1986 3.8L mustang LX with the one from my 1989 SC. If I recall correct the housing was shaped a bit different.

lilredstang said:
The pumps ARE different. I have compaired the one from my 1986 3.8L mustang LX with the one from my 1989 SC. If I recall correct the housing was shaped a bit different.

Yeah they re different, I compared mine to one of the people at work that has an 04 Mustang. They have the same bolt pattern and pickup but nothing else is the same.

Water pump

I also left a message for Mr. Wilson. It's up to 50 replies Thanks, Rob Floyd

About 4 years ago I was working with Stewart on making a performance water pump for the SC. I sent them a pump and worked for months to get it made. After 1 year I gave up! The design was going to using the stock casting a better bearing and a different design impeller was then only change. They never made a prototype. I was going to order 50 pumps at that time.

I am not knocking your efforts just wanted to give you some history. Ask them about MN12 Performance and my efforts from 1991 to get the pumps made.
Kinda lost faith in Stewart. Good Luck with Stewart I think I will stay away from this one. :mad:

Rich Thomson said:
About 4 years ago I was working with Stewart on making a performance water pump for the SC. I sent them a pump and worked for months to get it made. After 1 year I gave up! The design was going to using the stock casting a better bearing and a different design impeller was then only change. They never made a prototype. I was going to order 50 pumps at that time.

I am not knocking your efforts just wanted to give you some history. Ask them about MN12 Performance and my efforts from 1991 to get the pumps made.
Kinda lost faith in Stewart. Good Luck with Stewart I think I will stay away from this one. :mad:

Rich I knew about your efforts but thought you had tried to order 100 of the pumps. I referenced your efforts in the original post I placed on the Stewart Q & A Forum. I spoke to Jack Wilson and the only thing of note he had to say was they could offer us their electric booster pump and "MIGHT" be willing to make a specific kit to install it on our specific application. The problem I see with this is they want some $400.00 bucks for this booster pump. Frankly I prefer not to have to go that route. All we can do is keep bugging them I guess. I also struck out with Flow Kooler as well.

Back