ps lines to rack question

joenintiesc

I'm in the process of replacing my ps rack. Am I supposed to use teflon thread tape when re-attaching the line fittings to the rack? Can I use any o-ring in the correct size, or does it have to be a special app. one?

Also, when re-attaching the main bolts through the rack, it is going to be difficult to torque them down to 250 fp from under the car with so little room to maneuver. Will it be safe if I tighten them down as much as I can, then drive 60 miles to my friend's house where he has a lift, and tighten them to the correct specs there?

Please and thank you for any help! :)

I replaced my pressure line from the pump to the rack so I can't speak to the torque specs and I already had a new O ring in the new line..But I did use teflon tape at both ends and it works really well...sorry I couldn't be more help

Rick in FL :cool:

I'm getting ready to do the same on mine. I would think that as long as you've got a quality torque wrench, you could get them torqued down. As long as you've got the car about 12" above you as you are laying on the floor. If you've got that much room you should be okay. If not, then I would be very gentle with the car while driving to your buddy's place.

Well, I don't know if it's really a "quality" torque wrench. But it just seems like 250 fp would need a lot of leverage. Guess I'll find out!

Thanks for the replies.

I guess it depends on how much you weight. If you're a slightly 125 lbs, you'll have a hard time but if you're in the 180ish range you should be able to get that leverage. I'm particularly interested in how it turns out for you. Like I said, I'm getting ready to replace mine in a couple weeks...except I'm replacing a lot more than the rack...I've got all new suspension parts (minus shocks), the rack and power steering pump. And when I say all, I mean ALL parts. I've spent the last 5 months slowly buying the parts and now that I have them all, I've got to get them installed. So let me know how it works out for you and if you run into any issues that might help me out on mine!

Well, I don't know how much help I'll be- I took the easy way (yeah, like there's an easy way! ;) ) by waiting till I had my engine out to replace the rack... The only other suspension work I'm doing is to replace the sway bar bushings, and outer tie rod ends. I had to buy new ones because I could not get the old ones off the old rack! But it was probably a good idea to get new outers anyway...

Good luck with yours and I'm sure all the work will result in a much nicer "quality of ride" experience for you :D

I guess at 280lbs I could do that one handed, of course the 12" clearance under the car may be an issue.

I just replaced my rack about 2 months ago. I got a remanufactured one. It came with the correct nylon O-rings in a little plastic bag. I wouldn't suggest using teflon tape, it might not be strong enough to hold back the 1000psi + pressure its going to see. Be sure to hand tighten the fittings so as to prevent cross threading.
To get the 250 lbs of torque I just put a 2' pipe on my wrench so I could lift up or push down from a standing position next to the fenders. I held the bathroom scale in both hands and lifted up against the end of the 2' pipe until it read 125 lbs. For the other side I just had the wife stand on the end. :)

My book says 175 ftlbs for the minimum, I took mine to 180 ftlbs last week and it was everything I had. I pushing against the tires with my legs. Get it up as high as you can.

What was your rack doing that i needed replacement. I have a big clunk in my front end that I think I have narrowed down to being the rack and pinion.

Kurt

Back