What tires to get?

rzimmerl

did my alignment today at work and stills pulls like a mother to the right. my tires are old and dry rotted since the car sat for almost a year. should i go with stock size or 245/50. anybody running goodyear eagle TR or GT HR, or sumitomo HTRs, how do they feel or any reccomendations to get?

Tire Size

rzimmerl said:
did my alignment today at work and stills pulls like a mother to the right. my tires are old and dry rotted since the car sat for almost a year. should i go with stock size or 245/50. anybody running goodyear eagle TR or GT HR, or sumitomo HTRs, how do they feel or any reccomendations to get?

I had ran 245/50's before and they are almost a 1.3" shorter than the 225/60's. A friend had some 255/50's totry to make sure of no rubbing and they work fine, plus they are a 1" taller. The only problem is tire selection in the 255/50 range is not very big. Just my input, Jeff

1fastscinpa said:
I had ran 245/50's before and they are almost a 1.3" shorter than the 225/60's. A friend had some 255/50's totry to make sure of no rubbing and they work fine, plus they are a 1" taller. The only problem is tire selection in the 255/50 range is not very big. Just my input, Jeff

A 245/50/16 is only .98" shorter than a 225/60, and a 255/50/16 is .59" shorter than stock.

i like the 245s on my car. they are just cheapo falkens. it handles ten times better and hooks up better at the track. i don't really like the fender gap but i'd rather have the better handling.

If you do anything other than pure Grandma type driving, get at minumum an H-rated tire and preferably a v,z,w rated tire. It's not about the speed rating, it's the responsiveness of the tire. S and t rated tires are sloppy and just generally suck not to mention 400+ treadwear ain't much for traction.

I just installed new BFG zr rated 245/50/16's (The G-force models).EXCELLENT tires for the dough-I paid like 600 for all 4.My buddy owns a tire and wheel shop and he hooked me up.Anyways, my car is lowered 2 inches with eibach and tokico and the gap is perfect with this size tire.Handling is awesome even in the rain.I like the BF's because of their price and the treadwear is great.I just took off their vr4's and they had a ton of wear left even after doing burnouts like all the time! :D Only swapped them because of dry rot-my car sat for awhile also_Oh, also, NO rub at all.

I'm running a set of GY Eagle GT HRs. So far they are fine. As far as the alignment, it takes special equipment to get it really right. Changing the camber just a bit is enough to throw everything else out. You can get it basically pointed straight by hand, but it needs to go to the tire shop to keep from chewing up the tires. I had mine done at the same time as when I bouught the GYs.

problem solved, went with the 245's Sumitomo HTR, ZR rated. great tires would recommend them to anybody. tight handling and awesome traction. payed 105 a piece for them. did the alignment on our new hunter image aligner awesome maching

Last edited:
I ordered a set of Comp TA drag radials in 255-50-16. Going to mount them on my spare set of SC rims for those weekend nights and at the strip. Got them for $230 for the pair. Any one running these series or type of tires w/ feedback?

i got 245/50 bfg g forces z rated on my sc and i love them ...when my sho is ready for new set that's what it's getting too.cost $105 each.and are you getting a 4 wheel alignment?and suprkoop $600 was way too much @ merchant's tire i think i payed total with mounting and balancing and the comminist state of virginia taxes was like $500

got mine at sears. i work there part time after my other job but the total for all of them is like 450 not a bad price at all. was going to get the g force TA but for 15 bucks more for the tire the compound i thought was too hard compared to these.

Back