ic fan ?

intercooled89xr

hey everyone i was wondering if i had to get an intercooler fan or can i use a fan from say pepboys? thanks for the help

there are no actual "intercooler fans" persay for our sc. Most just use the 8" 800cfm permacool from jegs.com or summitracing.com take your pic.

Anyfan will work. Pepboys does has a small one that you can mount up if you don't feel like waiting for mail order.

Anthony

well how many cfm's should i be looking for? and if i have not read right the ic fan is not really for power its just more for prolonging the motor im not sure but i htink thats what i was readig i might be wrong.

Last edited:
800 Cfm Is The Standard

intercooled89xr said:
well how many cfm's should i be looking for? and if i have not read right the ic fan is not really for power its just more for prolonging the motor im not sure but i htink thats what i was readig i might be wrong.
TO SLOW AND NO COOLING....... :eek: :confused: :cool:

fan

I think the ic fan is to cool the air being circulated through the supercharger and make the sc run cooler which could give you a little more performance.

David

It works

An Intercooler fan is always a good idea, especially if you'r overdriving your blower at all. When I got my Double IC/ Fan put on, I got on the Interstate and let her rip through the top of fourth. After I pulled over I popped the hood and felt the IC, If I put my hand on the top of the ic, I would scorch my hand. but if I moved it down to where the fan was, it was significantly cooler, still hot, but not scorching. so all in all, I'd say it's worth it, especially if you live in a hot climate like Arizona/So Cal/etc...

Andrew

not trying to hijack this thread but can you run two 8" fans on the stock or double intercooler? (one on top of the other)

SC UL8R1990 said:
not trying to hijack this thread but can you run two 8" fans on the stock or double intercooler? (one on top of the other)

You could run 2 if you if you ran one on each side of the intercooler. The first fan being a pusher and the second being a puller. I'm not sure if two fans would fit on top of each other.

i got two on mine......

I put two fans on my ic and it works fine. If one is good, then two must be better, or so they say. Maybe that was with something else?? at any rate, I got two fans from a "import" cooling system and mounted them both on the same side of the ic. Yes it is a bit tight, and I did have to remake the mounting once or twice, but it's done and it works great. Both fans are rated at 850 cfm's each so it is really moving some air. You can hear it when I turn both on at the same time... See what you can find at the local recycle yard, you might get lucky and be done for less than $10......Rich

Late 80's Pontiac Le Mans is a good source. You can flip the blades around (some are straight blade, some curved) and wire the fan backwards so it becomes a puller instead of a pusher.

Jeff

Back