Engine Swap??

Titanium Bird

I have a 94 sc 5 spd. I am going to be redoing the whole engine. So I was wondering if I could put a 5.0 or 4.6 into it. What kind of 5.0 or 4.6 should I be looking for. And my second question is if I do the swap can i put the supercharger on the 5.0 or 4.6. Any body done this. Any pointers or tips. :confused:

A common V8 swap is the 4.6 DOHC out of a 2002 Explorer. If you get a 5.0, you want 5.0 HO. The supercharger is an Eaton M90, it's not a special supercharger made by Ford or anything, so I suppose you COULD adapt it to a V8, but you'd have to get a custom intake manifold plus alot of others. You'd do alot of chopping, too.

nidex, the Explorer uses the 4.6 SOHC motor, not the DOHC.

Titanium Bird, try the "search" feature, engine swaps have been discussed quite often on here, especially in the last few months.

cheers,
Ed N.

Modular motors are not going to mate with the existing transmission. The Explorer 4.6 is all aluminum that's why people want it. If you had a 4.6 LX then a 99+ Gt motor is the best swap. I would think you would be better off going for a 5.0 V8. Dave Dalke, David Neibert and others have much more experience with a 5.0 powered SC, so send'em a e-mail.

Jerry

You can do a 5.0 fairly easily. The wiring from the 4.6 cars is totally different not to mention the transmission won't bolt up. If you want good performance, expect to put some money into the 5.0 and make it a 347 or add a KB supercharger kit to it. Neither way is going to be cheap.

Hey,
I have a 1991, and also have an 87 5.0 HO engine. These engines are preferable, for one, because of the high nickle content in the block. I am likely going to stroke it (347 ci.) and add a KB/Paxton/Vortech blower. We have similar tasks at hand, so stay in touch. Personally I suggest the 5.0. HUGE aftermarket, and, easily attainable ;) .

So what is the best year 5.0 HO for my 94 5spd. And I am still not sure if the supercharger with fit the 5.0. I did a search and found nothing about putting a M90 blower on a 5.0. Any suggustions??

Last edited:
You need a 93 Tbird 5.0. Ford changed a lot of little things over the years on the 5.0 especially in the Bird. Do not attempt to use any other 5.0 or you will be sorely dissapointed.

You are not going to put an M90 on your 5.0. You could get a KB kit for a 94-95 Mustang. It will bolt right in except I think you will need a fiberglass hood for clearance. All other blower kits are going to be a royal PITA. Trust me.

XR7 Dave said:
You need a 93 Tbird 5.0. Ford changed a lot of little things over the years on the 5.0 especially in the Bird. Do not attempt to use any other 5.0 or you will be sorely dissapointed.

You are not going to put an M90 on your 5.0. You could get a KB kit for a 94-95 Mustang. It will bolt right in except I think you will need a fiberglass hood for clearance. All other blower kits are going to be a royal PITA. Trust me.

I read something about some ford striaght six guys mounting up an m90 on inline 300s. If they can rig it up, it can surely be possible on a 5 liter. You would probably end up cutting up some pieces of a 302 intake, probably a single plane one, and going from there. But that would require someone versed in heliarc, or however you spell it. A hood scoop woudl cetainly be the order of the day.

I do think it woudl be kewl, but unless you can heliarc or have a brother in law who can, there are lots more cheaper ways to get horses out of a 302...

Good luck wid it!

i wouldnt use an m90 on a v8, maybe try a supercharger from a cobra or a lightning i believe they are called m112. still an eaton, and readily avaliable at www.nloc.net, maybe you could just use a centrifugal supercharger, easier to install than rigging up a roots style blower.

matt351 said:
i wouldnt use an m90 on a v8, maybe try a supercharger from a cobra or a lightning i believe they are called m112. still an eaton, and readily avaliable at www.nloc.net, maybe you could just use a centrifugal supercharger, easier to install than rigging up a roots style blower.

I've seen the whole 2004 cobra crate engine on EBAY...with computer if I recall correctly...

That would be NICE!

Back