Anyone else NOT like their Ripper Shifter?

fastsc92

I just installed my ripper and i am less than pleased with it. It seems like although the throw changed a tiny bit...its a lot more notchy. I def. dont like the feel of it. What do you others think? I've had it in the car for a hour hours and am thinking about selling it.

Well, I have it in two cars...

It's in my 91 and 95 5-speeds. I love it in my 91 and DON'T like it in my 95. Just does not feel right.

My 91 shifts great and I love the feel.

I really think it just has to do with the tranny. Also, I called B+M and they told me that you have to CENTER the shifter by bolting it in and shifting it 3-4 gears with the bolts loose. This will center the shifter and make it all ok.

Try this before selling it.

Don

I've had one in my 91 for about 8 months. love it. Can't imagine going back. It's great on the road course, much quicker shifts than the stock shifter.

i did what lube70 said and it turned out much better. Its still going to take some getting used to though. The shifts feel more positive, and def. shorter, but you get a more rigid feel.

I hated mine too when i first had it, it was notchy and felt like ****. I got used to it and now i love the thing.

Hmmmm, where have I heard that before? lol I have both. Honestly, a properly rebuilt stocker is just fine. I tend to miss more shifts with the B&M because it is less forgiving. On one of my stockers I shortened the lever about 1" and I think I liked that best of all. I also went to a 2 5/8" Hurst cue-ball knob. I really like that more than the little stocker too. The bigger knob gives a more positive feel to it just like a fatter steering wheel improves road feel.

ya, i drove it around town for about 2 hours tonight, and i dont like it. The shifts are really notchy. Its shorter, but not much shorter. I rebuilt the stock shifter last year and it felt much better. I'll give it till the weekend and then i'm gunna sell this thing if i still feel the same way.

Back