suspension

90xr7

so my rear shocks are leaking and the fronts are original so i'm gonna replace everything. should i put the stock electronic back in, or some kind of performance ones?
what do u guys all use?

thnx devan

My $0.02

If you want to keep the electronic "ride control" feature, then the only option is the Tokico Illumina II's. Some folks don't like them for various reasons (too harsh in firm, too floaty in auto), but I have them and can't tell any significant difference from the original stock feel. I also use the Tokico springs (bought them together as a package). The springs drop the car about 1.25" which is a subtle change in appearance. There are several options available for shocks and springs on the SC/XR7. Check out www.shox.com . They have competitive prices, and quick delivery.

1fastsupercoupe... all SC's have the electronic ride control feature (as far as I know) unless someone installed a set of aftermarket shocks without it. One way to tell is to pop the hood and see if the ride control actuators are connected to the top of the shocks.

i got the firm ride deal and it lights up under harsh acceleration/high speeds/and when im at a stop light on the brakes too hard?>.....and when i flick the switch....but i cant tell a lick of a diff when its lit and whens its not.......

would going with a non electronic shock hurt anything besides the firm ride deal???..i need to replace them soon...its really bad when the radio is down low ;)

All SCs and XR7s came stock with the ARC system, automatic ride control. This system has 2 settings, and it auto mode uses various sensors to determine when to activate. 1fastsupercoupe, the observations you mentioned are some of the sensors in this system, there is also an optical steering wheel sensor to determine if the car is taking a hard turn or corner.

The ARC from Ford uses Tokicos, as previously mentioned. There are no aftermarket manufacturers which make a replacement shock for this system, there are however multiple aftermarket options which fit the SC suspension that bypass ARC.

Many members have found the stock system is now very out of date. Reports have been made that the Tokicos are both floaty yet harsh, and when set to firm do not firm up enough even new. Also, many have experienced that these shocks do not last very long, often lest than 40k miles. These shocks are very expensive around $400.00, and most feel this is too much for their lack of longentivity and performance.

While not retaining the instant hand activated control, the aftermarket shocks by KYB, Bilstein, and Koni have been found to be superior in nearly every aspect of performance.

The KYBs are reguarded for their value as they are cheaper than the others at 150 dollars yet maintain very good firmness/handling characteristics without getting overly harsh.

The Bilsteins are the midrange of the shocks normally recommended on the SCCOA, having vastly superior handling characteristics to the stock setup and maintaining an excellent ride quality. For around 400 dollars, these are also said to be superior to the KYBs for both handling and ride qualtiy. I believe their strong point is maintaining the good ride qualty while offering their level of handling performance.

Lastly we have the Koni fully adjustable shock absorbers. I have found these types of shocks are more common on many moderately modified vehicles. They have a variable control on each shock absorber allowing fine adjustments to be made between soft and firm. Of course, this gives the ability to 'tune' the suspension for various desired characteristics or conditions. It would likely be most useful during track/racing events. I have known friends with these shock absorbers, they reguarded the overall performance as excellent and worth the price. For our car, these shocks sell for 510 dollars from SCP.

In the past I have explored the possibility of retaining driver cocpit control of the shock absorber tuning. Like many who own SCs, I think this is a neat option, and like the other characteristics of our cars helps make it unique. Unfortunately, I came across only one result. I do not currently remember the manufacturer, but they designed/manufactured both the hardware and the shocks. This system was variable like the Konis, only all four shocks shared the setting. There was a control which mounted inside the cabin for quick electronic adjustment. It sounded interesting, but it was also in the neighborhood of 2000 dollars. Obviously that is beyond the budget of most SCCOA members.

I plan on upgrading my very worn shock absorbers to the KYBs in the near future. After, I may also try the others, depending on the status of my SC.

Hope that helps..

one FYI about the blistens, unless you get over to TCCoA and get in on the GP going on, you most likely will not find a set as Blisten had discontinued the ones for the MN-12 cars.

Hey Kevin

are we talk about the KYB AGX shocks here? Also if you have a part# It sure would help because these KYB distributors don't seem to understand what I'm talking about...

Rick :cool:-~

Last edited:
Back