Porting question

needsabird

Hey, I have a question about porting my own intake. How do I do it? That goes for exhaust manifolds as well. And a friend of mine thinks that you might be able to port your throttle body. Help me please...

Search

needsabird said:
Hey, I have a question about porting my own intake. How do I do it? That goes for exhaust manifolds as well. And a friend of mine thinks that you might be able to port your throttle body. Help me please...

Very broad question, Sound like you haven't searched. There's material and pics on most boards for example's. Look around and then ask a real question.

Or a good broad answer to your question. With a grinder.

You can't port the throttle body, the butterfly inside is used to seal it off and let the air flow through the IAC to idle properly. IF you port the housing out then it won't seal right around the butterfly and you'll have unmetered air entering the engine. The car will only spray enough fuel for idle, and if its bad enough you can run lean. My car had a problem with the IAC leaking internally letting too much air in and the idle was at 3k. Within 3 minutes my headers were glowing RED HOT. Luckily I didn't warp the heads and blow the head gaskets again. I found out it was running dangerously lean and that causes heat. Fuel also cools the intake charge a little. Your best bet is to port the plenum the TB mounts to, and buy a larger throttle body with a larger butterfly. It was designed the way it was for a reason, because thats the way a throttle body works. You can't just go porting it and leaving the stock sized butterfly door inside. It won't work.

The intake manifold leaves little room for porting unless you want to cut it and then port the insides and then weld it up and grind the welds smooth. You can gasket match the ports on it, but they are about as big as they are gonna go. For a home port job, the best results can be found from porting the exhaust side of the head and the bottom of the exhaust manifolds. If you feel like you are capable you could pull the rotors out of the SC and port the outlet and inlets on the case. You need a pnuematic die grinder with cutting stones and polishing stones. Remember once you port something, smooth it out with a polishing stone, air flows better on a smooth surface than it does over a rough surface.

Back