Good news for fuel filter changers

mcate

Ok, I was changing the fuel filter on my '95 this afternoon. I managed to get the old one off without the special tool that I didn't realize was necessary. Then I broke the little white plastic retaining clip that holds the line on the rear part of the filter. I couldn't seem to force just the one remaining side back in, & something was definitely needed to hold the filter on. I called Ford &, naturally, the clip wasn't available. BUT! I also called Advance Auto Parts just now, & they carry them! SUCCESS! This might've been common knowledge to some people, but not me. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Mike

my replacement fuel filter came with two of the plastic clips for some reason. Also, I'm curious how you got the filte off without the special tool. What are you Lou Ferigno? Oh, also I wouldn't smoke in your car if I were you! :eek:

It took a lot of prying with a couple of screwdrivers. Didn't damage it at all from what I could see. No leaks at all.

really... something about retaining clips? didnt notice they were there... mine came out just by unscrewing the damn thing and just unplugging it... dont know what kind of hell u guys had to go through

Yeah I don't get it either. When I do mine, I try to save the old clips in case I break the new ones. All they are is little plastic clips that can be easliy taken off with a screwdriver and easily broken if too much force is used.

V6Sprout said:
I just got a new mustang fuel filter for my stang and it came with 2 new retaining clips.
not to knock this forum but NO one seems to have any kind of CHANGING FUEL FILTER DIAGRAM, pictures...we could learn alot from www.3si.org wich is where i used to go with my stealth we have the DUMMIE edition website so us non tech people dont have to pay some overbearing overpriced tech to change something as stupid as a fuel filter, norm they are on the firewall, if not they are inline behind the rocker panel...nope neither on mine....i saw it the other day when i had my car on a lift but now that im home and i have a POS stock jack i cannot find anything wich is just like it huh....Im going to start doing some posts on how to's here next month for us non tech people

One of those scissor type fuel line disconnect tools works really well for releasing the metal spring clip at the front connection (some of those plastic fuel line/ac tools are too thick) and, most replacement filters include one of the rear plastic clips in the box. If you screw-up that front retaining clip you can get a Fram replacement filter # G-7596, which includes a new plastic clip that substitutes for the front. It's the only one I know that provides that.
Jim.

Back