what and where is the air silencer on my 92 sc??

92SCMIKEMD

I heard you can get some extra power if i remove this??does it make the car or the blower and louder?what does it do and more important where is it??can someone be real specific maybe a pic of the engine bay with an arrow??I d appreciate any responses

removal

92SCMIKEMD said:
I heard you can get some extra power if i remove this??does it make the car or the blower and louder?what does it do and more important where is it??can someone be real specific maybe a pic of the engine bay with an arrow??I d appreciate any responses

Where it is located...
Pop off the air filter lid and look inside. There will be a hole in the bottom of it. Look through that hole and you should see a white looking jug in there. That is the air silencer. To remove it, you will have to go through the fender well to get it out.

It is held up by 3 bolts. Which is located around the hole in the bottom of the air box. Remove them and reach through the fender well and pull it out.

As far as what it does...
The air silencer does exactly as it sounds. Quits the air coming into the engine. When removed the blower will whine a little louder.

Sorry I don't have a pic to show you.

I removed the air silencer on my car about a month ago , it makes the car a little louder and is very noticeable at WOT. I really couldn't tell any hp gain or gas mileage improvements. You should still try it even if all it does is change the sound of the car a little.

Back