best mods for under $500.

smkdurhnda

:confused: what would be some good, worth while mods for an 89 xr7, for under $500? air silencer is already removed, other than that its basically stock.
any input would be helpfull.

smkdurhnda said:
:confused: what would be some good, worth while mods for an 89 xr7, for under $500? air silencer is already removed, other than that its basically stock.
any input would be helpfull.

Exhaust...Can't stress that enough. If you can't do the whole thing, then change out the resonator with a high flow. This is the big clog in the exhaust system.

K&N filter $45
MAF mod to make it a 73mm FREE...FREE (I have done this and it worked for me. Some will disagree).
Raised top $150 on up, Fast Freddy has good prices on these.
TBIRD88 intercooler gaskets $20, I have these also, and are worth the money!!!!
SCI Jackshaft pulley www.supercoupeinnovations.com $150, another great part to have. Does what it says! Get it while supplies last as he is closing doors.
Downtubes $140
High flow cats $150
5% overdrive pulley $100 or less

This is just a start. I am sure someone else can put some more up.

I'd go with exhaust first and then worry about horsepower gains/mods later . Without a free flowing setup of some sort you will just increase the risk of headgasket failure and then be walking.

Oh and..exhaust is good for 25hps but I never noticed the gains after I did mine...just a head game I guess. But like I said its the foundation for more mods to come.

Once you get the that done...with $500 more you can make these cars rocket ships...a Fast Freddie Top is a great investment and also a Double IC too...just did both of these and WOW what a bargain and a lot better pick up.

Also...ASP underdrive pulley's are good bang for the buck.

Hope I helped, even though it sounds scatter-brianed.

-Tim

73mm MAF mod? for free? when how? and how much?

yeah i say u do exhaust first. ive been saying i was gonna do mines for the longest but hey man... im strapped for cash... then again i am in california and then again it will be a pain in the *** to get it to pass smog here...
but go for the exhaust first...

about this free 73mm MAF mod... go on with it... proceed

Back