Need touch up paint for code ED Currant Red Metallic

Shockwave

Need touch up paint for code ED Currant Red Metallic (new pics added)

I am looking for touchup paint for my 90 Cougar LS with paint code ED, Currant Red Metallic clearcoat. I want to paint the top of the rear bumper. I went to Plasti-kote's website and they don't list that code, but list a EG ELECTRIC CURRANT RED PEARL M B/C. The thing is that this is the same paint they list for 1995 Thunderbirds so I know it's not the right color.

I have had great success with their areosal paint for code YO Oxford white as it matches perfectly. Of course that is white non clearcoat. If I have to paint a basecoat then a clear, I'm ok with that.

Any ideas on where to get this paint?
3full.jpg

Thanks
Jerry

Last edited:
Well, I found a paint that matches very close. I bought some dupli-color Ford Dark Toredor Red Met. The color is very close and looks very good to me, if anything it's a shade too dark, but in my opinion it's better to be darker than too light. The bottom of the bumper under the molding was left untouched.

In my original post you can see that the bumper top looks pink from the loss of clear coat and sun fade. Also, the chrome strips on the black bumper moldings was cracked and peeling. I decided to repaint the moldings all black and will do the rest to match.

I ended up removing the rear bumper off the car to do the painting to simplify the masking. I did three coats of base color and let it dry for 48 hours. I then wet sanded the paint with 1500 grit, then three more coats of dupli-color clear coat. I let the paint dry 48 hours then masked off the new paint to paint the bumper moldings with bumper black paint. The paint was very rough as it's impossible for the paint to flow when shooting from a paint can.

I let the paint cure for about three weeks since the car is not being driven. I just wet sanded with 1500 grit paper and rubbed the paint out with 3M rubbing compound by hand. Not to bad for $30, although the labor was hard. Gives you a new respect for guys who paint and detail.

Car is dirty just washed the bumper. I think the digital camera shows the difference in the color more than what it looks like in person.
Dscn0001.jpg

Dscn0002.jpg

Dscn0003.jpg

Dscn0004.jpg

Dscn0005.jpg

Dscn0006.jpg

Dscn0007.jpg

yours looks to be the same color as my 95. I picked up a can at autozone and it was a base/clear so $8 worth of paint. I just did a quick touch up job to make myself feel better about the way it looks until I can get it totally painted.

What is your paint code? It's listed on the inside driver door jam. I never thought 1990 Currant Red Clearcoat Met. looked like 1995 Electric Red Clearcoat Met. I mean yeah they are close, but Currant is more a maroon/burgandy where to me Electric Red is more Pink under certain lights. Both have pearls in them that really pop in the sun. I always pick red metalic over straight red though. I swore off red cars after two in a row. Although when I look at the current Mustangs, Laser Red tint always catches my eye. My next car will probably be blue if possible.

Here are some pictures taken in 2000 when I was shopping for a car, same day, same dealership, and same camera:

paint code ED - Currant Red Metallic Clearcoat
Image16.jpg

Paint code EG - Electric Red Metallic Clearcoat
Image9.jpg

I still remember taking these shots. I was looking for a V8 or SC to replace the 3.8 LS. My 90 looked better than most 95-97 T-Birds I looked at. My nephew is 16 now so the old Cougar will most likely be his first car. He ain't ready for a SC yet.

Jerry

Back