Fuel Guage Stuck At Full..

sizemoremk

Just got this bird, and the fuel guage is stuck at full... was stuck at half when I got it and the tank was empty... I put a couple of gallons in and now it is stuck at full... WAY FULL....

It is a 93 automatic, earlier the temp guage was stuck at about 3/4 way but now it seems fine...

Any ideas?

Thansk guys!

Pull your cluster and disconnect it and look for corrsion in the two big main plug connections. also check the gauge needles themselves. I don't know if you have aftermarket face plates (common in these) but you could actually be hanging up on the plate if thats the case....It's not often that the float itself will hang up on these unless it sat for a long time with gas in it. If it is the float you can usually take them out and clean them good with WD-40 and they are good to go. I would start with the cluster though it's a much easier fix. My .02

Rick in Fl :cool:-~

Bringing this thread back to prove I searched for it! :D My gas guage was working fine for the first few months, I allways kept it at 3/4 tank or less and it allways read correctly. I treated it to a full tank, an in dash CD player and a new VMM and my car must be so happy its stuck on full now, actually it drives up above full as soon as you turn the key on. It didnt happen until I filled it all the way up.

Anybody know if the VMM light is off a seperate switch? Thanks.

ha ha ha, that happened to me, my gauge got stuck in full, and i dropped the tank and replaced the whole fuel sending unit inside the gas tank, good luck with it...

I had my gas guage stuck a full after a fillup once, but it went back to normal after I went through about half the tank. Never repeated itself, so who knows? :confused:

I might be brave and drive it a bit longer, but I have no idea how many miles were on it when I filled it up, so I dont know how far ive gone on this tank... Nor do I know how far it will go, it varies so much. oh well, just another thing to add to my long list.

Just go find a nice whoopty in the road, take it up to about 70 mph and put that baby about two feet in the air! I don't know if it's the freedom it feels when flying that makes the guage mechanism loosen up or the landing. If that doesn't work, it's probably time to pull the tank, replace the sender, and replace all those broken suspension parts while you are under there. Later
Danny:D

Last edited:
With the shape of my front ball joint boots, im scared to pull into the driveway too fast, let alone go airborne:eek: :D

Back