replacing front wheel stud

Scott Long

I failed tech at the track last night due to having a stripped out stud w/o a nut on my front wheel. I didn't even know about it till I got there and popped off the cap. The tire shop that did this is going to hear about it believe me.

Anyways, I need to replace it today and I have the new stud and nut but I'm not sure how the hub comes out so I can tap the stud in. I hope its like a fwd where there are like 3 bolts holding it to the spindle. If thats the case this could be a 20 minute job, or it could be a 2 hour job depending if its different.

Any suggestions? I don't want to rip it off and not have an idea of whats going on. Its not that I can't do it, I just want to be prepared. You don't go into battle without doing some recon.

the easiest way to do studs is to just bang them out towards the inside of the car. Then seat the new ones in, and use a nut to put them in all the way. There are little splines on the end that will press themselves into the hub. You could take the whole hub off, but its much easier to just bang them out. There isn't much holding them in.

we did my buddies cavalier the same way. hammered them out and used a nut to seat them all the way back in. shouldnt have to take the hub apart.

Back