EGR sensor ?

JustinzSC

I need help with this sensor as to where the hose should be connected.
The unit mounts at the back of the intake on my 1990 3.8 auto SC on a bracket with a 3 wire electrical connector.
Where is the tube supposed to be connected?
I have been told it goes to the EGR valve or tube but I cant find one on this motor.
The mount on the intake for the EGR is capped with 2 bolts and looks factory installed.
Could the EGR valve be located in a different place cause I cant find it....
or did Ford do something different on this car? :confused:

Attachments

• SC.jpg
    SC.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 281
JustinzSC said:
I need help with this sensor as to where the hose should be connected.
The unit mounts at the back of the intake on my 1990 3.8 auto SC on a bracket with a 3 wire electrical connector.
Where is the tube supposed to be connected?
I have been told it goes to the EGR valve or tube but I cant find one on this motor.
The mount on the intake for the EGR is capped with 2 bolts and looks factory installed.
Could the EGR valve be located in a different place cause I cant find it....
or did Ford do something different on this car? :confused:

hey justin you may not have an EGR my 92 doesn't.

I dont have an EGR or tube.
I looked at another 1990 that has no egr on the intake but I cant find this sensor on that motor.
Do you have this sensor and EGR on your 89? :confused:

JustinzSC said:
I dont have an EGR or tube.
I looked at another 1990 that has no egr on the intake but I cant find this sensor on that motor.
Do you have this sensor and EGR on your 89? :confused:
i have the sensor on my 89 i just bought a new one for 123.50 at fords

1990 5 Speed SC has EGR.
1990 AOD does not have EGR.
Maybe part of your plunum came off a 5 speed engine.
Hang on to that little silicone hose because someone will need it and Ford charged me $50.cdn for one.
Good luck

If you could look at your 1990 AOD and find that sensor at the back of the intake.....and follow the hose and tell me where it connects. I looked at a friends 1990 AOD but it didnt even have the sensor on it. My 1992 has an egr
but my 90 doesnt.

If you could look at your 1990 AOD and find that sensor at the back of the intake.....and follow the hose and tell me where it connects. I looked at a friends 1990 AOD but it didnt even have the sensor on it.
My 1992 has an egr but my 90 doesnt.

The hose goes down along the firewall to a little metal off shoot from the metal EGR pipe, near the top. The hose is solicone to withstand the heat because the EGR pipe connects to the exhast manifold at the bottom and the back of the plenum at the top. I made a diagram from a 94 engine, the difference is that the 94 has an extra hose at the bottom of the EGR pipe.

94EngineRear1.jpg

I dont know whats going on here... I cant see someone adding this transducer and not connecting it. The plug on the harness is for the transducer so I dont understand why its there and not connected.
I get codes 41 & 91 left & right hego lean from the koer test and the system pass 11..11 from koeo.
The motor runs rich cause I guess it trys to compensate for the lean condition.
I have 17 HG vacume at idle and get around 8 -10 lbs of boost.
takes around 15 minutes of driving then the ce light comes on and stays on.
Replaced one of the hego sensors to see if it would change the codes but it didnt...so I think they are working.
I am going to replace the coolant temp sensor and see if it makes any difference.
Next I will check the fuel line pressure & regulator. Has anyone changed the regulator? It looks like a pain to get it off....l

JustinzSC said:
I dont know whats going on here... I cant see someone adding this transducer and not connecting it. The plug on the harness is for the transducer so I dont understand why its there and not connected.
I get codes 41 & 91 left & right hego lean from the koer test and the system pass 11..11 from koeo.
The motor runs rich cause I guess it trys to compensate for the lean condition.
I have 17 HG vacume at idle and get around 8 -10 lbs of boost.
takes around 15 minutes of driving then the ce light comes on and stays on.
Replaced one of the hego sensors to see if it would change the codes but it didnt...so I think they are working.
I am going to replace the coolant temp sensor and see if it makes any difference.
Next I will check the fuel line pressure & regulator. Has anyone changed the regulator? It looks like a pain to get it off....l

First off you should be able to tell if your car was suposed to have an EGR valve. There would be a gaping hole on the back of the intake plenum and a hole on the passenger side exhaust manifold. If you dont have either than just diconnect the transducer and forget about it. If no EGR than no need for a transducer right? The wiring is probably there as a universal fit. Car manufacturers do this between cars to keep the costs down. Pretty much if your car ever had an EGR and it is gone than it would run very badly or not run at all.

Your lean condition is probably do to bad 02 sensors.

Shane

Yes there is a port on the intake where the egr would go but its capped.(looks factory) No egr tube on the exhaust.
I have removed the egr transducer and still get codes 41 & 91.
Found a small exhaust leak after the right side cat and theres a lot of black carbon on the pipe where its leaking. :eek:

IDK if Ford just capped the intake plenums or not on non EGR cars. I will have to look at my 91 auto to see.

As for the exhaust, if the manifolds were set up for EGR than the should be a threaded hole right before the end of the collector.

Shane

If EGR was required on your engine, you would be getting a code 33 for low signal from the hose on the bottom of the transducer and several others for no signal from EGR valve. I've worked on lots of 90 to 91 SCs and only the 5 speeds had EGR.
Maybe a previous owner upgraded the SC & plenum and just left that hardware on it. Whatever the reason its there, you don't need it and it is not at all related to the problems that you are having. Yank it out, sell it to the guy in the classifieds that does need it.
The wiring harnesses are the same on engines with or w/o EGR and have a short modular harness for different O2 sensor setups. I would be focusing on O2 sensors and air leaks to cure the problems with your car. Good Luck

Well I checked the fuel pressure and its constant at 35 psi. when the engine is running and doesnt leak down when I turn it off...
I am going to replace the fuel filter and see if it makes any difference.

We spent so much time figuring out that you don't have and need EGR, I've forgotten your real problem. If you're running rich, I would clean the MAF electronic pickup wires with intake cleaner, being careful not to damage them, and then look at the O2 sensors. Do you have a stock MAF or an oversized MAF? Stock for a 90SC is 55mm. Good luck

I tried cleaning the MAF but it didnt help.......I am going to swap it with another one and see if that helps...... I did replace one of the hego's and no difference. Is it possible someone put the wrong MAF on this car.
The car was hit on the right front corner before I got it and I have had to replace the canister & purge solenoid, & power steering cooler. (they were not there when I bought the car) Do you know the part # for the SC stock MAF?

JustinzSC said:
I tried cleaning the MAF but it didnt help.......I am going to swap it with another one and see if that helps...... I did replace one of the hego's and no difference. Is it possible someone put the wrong MAF on this car.
The car was hit on the right front corner before I got it and I have had to replace the canister & purge solenoid, & power steering cooler. (they were not there when I bought the car) Do you know the part # for the SC stock MAF?

Ford put power steering coolers on these cars?

Shane

Back