damv valve cover bolt

darkstar_one

hey well i was tightening up my valve cover bolts because they were extra loose, i was tightening the one on the passenger by the ADD OIL thingy and it kept on spinning. I pulled it out and i noticed it had the thread on it from the head, i remove the thread and tr to put it back in but it just keeps spinning, doesnt screw in anymore, dont know what to do

A tap is a tool used to make new threads in a hole. He means for you get a slightly larger tap than the original, and make new threads in the hole. You are going to have to get a larger bolt that matches the new threads you are going to make with the tap. As for drilling it, you are going to have to use the size drill bit that is suggested for the size of tap you end up using.

my dad has all the tools but he says tapping aluminum heads isnt easy, he said he would do it but it would take time, i dont have time, its my daily driver

Darkstar,

You don't really have much of a choice...either re-tap it and use a larger bolt or keep leaking oil. I suppose if you just don't care, you could force a self tapping screw into the hole, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

David

yeah ima have to do it, probably start tommorow, u think i can reuse the old valve cover gaskets, i dont have money for new ones, or should i just but the left one,

Back