99% done my motor *pics*

V6Sprout

All I have left to install is the Alternator, I am powdercoating the case today, but when I took the main bearing out I kinda wrecked the seal on it, so I have to find a new bearing before I can install it, hopefully I can get one on Monday. I have the old alternator in there for now, but its a turbo coupe alternator and the shaft on it is smaller so my underdrive alternator pulley is too big for the shaft and wobbles, and I need the underdrive pullley otherwise my belt is way too long. I am not going out to buy a shorter belt just for this. I'll wait for a new bearing. Check it out, I don't have the fan installed thats the only thing missing. All I need is to change my oil and finish tightening up the exhaust, and I can start her up. Might as well install one or two of my gauges today if I get time as well.

sc_motor_finished_001.jpg

sc_motor_finished_002.jpg

sc_motor_finished_003.jpg

Looks awesome. I love the custom intercooler setup.

Is it a stock motor? What do you have done to it? What kind of times are you hoping to get with this setup?

Very nice. I like the smooth SC top. One question though, why do people always keep the air filter in the engine compartment? Doesn't hot and turbulent air bother you?

SWEET DEAL, I found my old busted alternator and safely removed the bearing and installed it in the new powdercoated case, should have it back together in no time and if all goes well may start the car tomorrow.

As for the filter that was a quick setup to get me running and I just havn't changed it yet. I may put a shield around it soon to help keep hot air away as best as possible but tests have shown filters int he fender do not gain any HP and can even be worse sometimes due to the way the air enters the fender or somethign like that I forget, its a toss up which is better really, but there is extra heat int he engine bay so a shield shoudl help for now.

I ran a best of 13.9@99mph last year but that was on street tires and a baseline tune that was emailed to me, this year I have a better tune, and more mods and lighter front end so I am hoping for 12's and at least 300RWHP and 374RWTQ, should find out in about 3 weeks at the V6FC3 event.

Here are the pics of my powdercoated alternator, its a 94+ mustang alternator. It turned out pretty good, the pulley installed is part of the SCI underdrive pulley kit. This alternator does not actually fit the SC bracket, part of the casing hits a bit of the bracket, I just have to grind off that small section on the bracket and it shoudl fit no problem, I'll do that tomorrow.

sc_motor_finished_004.jpg

sc_motor_finished_005.jpg

The casing of the alternator looks awsome. How do you take it apart like that? Any tips for me. I want to do mine a nice glossy black now that i see your and any info you can help me with would be awsome. Great work. Zach

its really quite simple, the brushes come out at the back, held on my 4 torx screws ( the SC alts have the brushes on the inside and I have no idea how to put a SC alt back together) mine is a Mustang alternator. After you remove the brushes, remove the pulley, and remove the 3 long screws that hold the two cases together, then everything just pulls apart. ONce apart, the main bearing has a plate over it, its held on by 3 8mm boilts, remove the plate and press the bearing out. This alt is in fact too big, it won't fully bolt up, I had to grind a bit of the alt bracket to get it to work, but it still doesn't bolt up completely, the top bolt will not reach cause the alt is hitting the bracket near the tensioner, I could grind it as well but I will just make a plate to attach the top of the al to, then attach that plate tot he orginal bolt hole on the bracket. I'll have pics later.

In responce to Daves statement..

Not only is sucking in the hot air bad..But the fan will do something called FAN WASH and screw with you MAF causing idle fluctuation.

Also..WHy didnt ya turn the top around for the IC inlet to use a shorter straighter IC tube

Looks great!

I didn't turn the blower top around cause I didn't think I had enough room, I really don't like the look of it coming straight out the front of the motor cause it hides the blower which is the most beautiful part of the motor, With my new IC setup we may try turning it around since i have no AC it may be easier but losing a little HP to have the blower in plain view is worth it, this car is not meant to set records, although I don't mind doing that either, if I can. :D

Back