Codes 181 and 189

birdofprey

My car's check engine light comes on every time i drive it but it always goes away after awhile and then comes back on, and so on and so on. So anyways its pulling codes 181 and 189... Which I believe is A/F stuff, but i cant be sure on that. So anyways the car doesnt seem to be losing that much power but it must be, becuase the track times from yesterday were really bad. Last year i was running low 14's and since then i have put 3.27 gears and underdrive pulleys in my car. and the best i could pull out yesterday was high 14's. Does anybody have any idea of what could be wrong with my car? Boost leak?, Injectors?, Computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Josh

181- heated exhaust gas O2 sensor fault unable to switch/lean during part throttle bank #1

189 - heated exhaust gas O2 sensor fault unable to switch/lean during part throttle bank #2

birdofprey said:
My car's check engine light comes on every time i drive it but it always goes away after awhile and then comes back on, and so on and so on. So anyways its pulling codes 181 and 189... Which I believe is A/F stuff, but i cant be sure on that. So anyways the car doesnt seem to be losing that much power but it must be, becuase the track times from yesterday were really bad. Last year i was running low 14's and since then i have put 3.27 gears and underdrive pulleys in my car. and the best i could pull out yesterday was high 14's. Does anybody have any idea of what could be wrong with my car? Boost leak?, Injectors?, Computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Josh
Josh,
I have the same codes on my SC, my mechanic told me it is a vacuum leak. I am replacing manifold gaskets while my blower is off the car. I would start looking for vacuum leaks...maybe a vacuum hose is off or cracked. I would not dive into the intake manifold unless you are already in the car that deep. I am doing it, because I am replacing injectors and porting the intercooler tubes. I am already at the manifold.
hope this helps
Ken

Thanks for the help. So you think its a vacuum leak? Could it possibly be a boost leak? just wondering because that would make it run rich to wouldn't it? I also noticed that my car is not hitting full boost till around 4500 rpms... Im guessing its all related. Thanks again and any other info would be great.

Back