power steerin pump remove, pleaseinfo

GREATWHITE666

ok, i am going to tackle my power steering pump leak. first, are our pumps the ELECTRONIC variable assist power steering pump, or just the regular variable power sterring pump? i see both on some sites. 2nd, is the replace of the pump that hard? i plan on installing a raised top and ic fan at the same time, so the top ic tube will come off, and maybe the ic (if u guys think this it's easier) my main focus is the power steering pump, ANY info you guys have from experience or whatever would help me so much, thank you so much for ANYTHING you can add, THANK YOU in advance--
DAmon

I took off the intercooler piping and intercooler, didnt remove the sc top nut though. I just took off the top connected to the piping from the sc. Its also good to take off the accessory bracket as a whole piece if you think you can avoid this, you can't. I believe there are 3 bolts that hold it on, with a little looking around you will be able to find them. Remember that the connection to the EVO actuator requires only about 12 lbs of torque not very much at all. The EVO actuator can come off as well, when I bought my pump it didn't come with the actuator, so remember to save it. You will also need a pulley puller and replacer, the pulley is an inference fit onto the axle. Prime the pump by hand then attach the belts after priming to prevent all the bubbles from forming.

f you going to change the power steering pump you going to need special tool to remove the ps pump pulley and other to install the pulley, I buy mine in PEP BOYS for about $16.00 the remover and $19.00 the installer or you can buy in your local automotive store, I did that work about 2 weeks ago, you have to take out the upper IC tube and the intercooler, for have good space to work. Not a hard work!
Good Luck! ;)

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot this, autozone rents those pulley rmover and replacer tools out. Use it once borrow it, use it twice buy it...........

I got a puller/installer from Autozone for $30. You want the one that's a round piece that fits all the way around the pulley, this works much better than the other type that's a 2 jaw puller.

grrr

man, fraking tools for everything, im probably not gonna do this job for a week or two, but im trying to get all the info i can, thanks for everythign you guys have said already, any other thoughts, please post, i will most likely print out this whole thread ot have handy while im doing this job. also, does anyone know if the power steerin pump is the electronic variable assist, or the regular variable assist?? thanks for all info--
Damon

Our cars have the EVO system which is I guess the electronic variable assist that you speak of.

Back