One lap of America...

Andy 94SC

It's just not the same without Ted Lyons running in it....Anyone know why he chose not to run?

It is really nice seeing a SC running around with the big guys, and doing quite well. Anyone else think we should talk Ed N. into running next year?

I kind of figured that was going on. I was down near Tire Rack last weekend and noticed the increased stickered up car traffic, so I swung by there and there was a guy taking money at the end of the parking lot so I just gazed from a far. I wish I would have went in now.

-Steve

I'd love to run One Lap, I have a few friends that have done it, of course it's a blast. Anyone have about $10,000 US they can hand over for my entry fee and running costs? :D

cheers
Ed N.

I'd love to run One Lap, I have a few friends that have done it, of course it's a blast. Anyone have about $10,000 US they can hand over for my entry fee and running costs?
I'll pitch in $10 if I get to be co-driver. :) A friend of mine was in the SRT-10, they finished 8th overall. Chrysler paid for him, what a deal.

In someone else's car, especially a manufacturer, is the best way to do it. My friends did it in a Subaru Legacy wagon about 10 years, a car supplied by Subaru Canada. AWD was great on the wet days!! ;) They finished pretty well from what I remember. Targa Newfoundland in Eastern Canada would be another great event to participate in. Public roads closed off for the competitors to blast across. :eek:

cheers,
Ed N.

$10,000? I knew it was expensive, but I didn't know it was THAT expensive. For access to all of those tracks, I'm sure it's worth it. Must be expensive to reserve them. Bet they have insurance out the *** too.

$10,000 Hmmmm. It would be worth at least $20 to me to see an SC back in the event. If there are 500 other members who feel the same, there is the $10,000. How many active members are there in SCCoA, maybe we could ask for a voluntary donation from members for a SCCoA sponsored participant....Or maybe we could just talk George into ponying up the $10k :D
And we'll talk Dave D. into donating a whipple setup for the event car....

I think it is good for these cars to have one participate. It shows the public a few things;

1. These cars DO exist.

2. These cars CAN be decent performers.

Maybe it would help stop the bluebook of these things from sliding into the toilet.

Anyway, it seems to me it would take three things to win (besides the cash), a good car, a good driver, and some luck. You seem to be a heck of a road course driver Ed, and Ted has proven the SC to be a contender......All we need is the luck. Anyone on this board have any luck?

Just FYI, Ted's SC is a centrifigal supercharged 331. Two extra cylinders and a lot more displacement. I'm not sure that even a whipple will be able to keep up with the power that Ted is able to put to the pavement. At least not without the V8 swap...

I thought Ted's car was a 347?? Maybe not.

Anyway Engine output is only part of what it takes to win on a road course, handling and braking are much larger parts of the equation. More power on tap never hurts though.....

Anyway, comparing the 1/4 mile numbers Ted's car has put down with what Gary Kuhn's car (for example) has done....I think a whipple on a V6 could do quite well.

Last edited:
I agree that a whipple would probably do better than expected. I wasn't impressed with Teds results.

-Steve

one more post

Didnt he not do as well last year? and didn't the SRT-4 enter the same class the Bird was in and really dominate?? It was in the Car and Driver a while back

TbirdSC93 said:
Didnt he not do as well last year? and didn't the SRT-4 enter the same class the Bird was in and really dominate?? It was in the Car and Driver a while back

If I remember right Ted came in second in his class to the SRT (personally I don't think those two belong in the same class....) I think he had a good chance to beat the SRT also, but went off roading on one of the courses and had a DNF or two as a result. Not too bad, considering the SRT was a Factory backed entry. It would have been nice to say one of our own in a homebrewed T-bird beat DiamlerChrysler....

Don't get me wrong I love what Ted has done with his car. But I would rather see a V6SC in competition. It removes the "Well what do you expect, it is a blown V8, probably would have done better using Mustang..." factor.

But I think a whipple would be better than the centrifugal for this competition. That nice wide torque curve....

Last edited:
I was reading the old MM&FF article on him and found some interesting stuff.

his car ran a 14 second 1/4 at 114mph!
Also read that he was going to move on to another project after the 2003 one lap.

Also he clocked a 175mph at michigan speedway and says that the cars pulls harder from 100-150 than most cars from 30-50

$10K was a number I threw out there as a wild guess. The entry fee alone is about $2500, then figure on your fuel, tires, brakes, any mechanical repairs along the way, lodging, etc., etc. That's assuming that you already have a suitable car that's track-prepped and ready to go !!

My friends who ran Targa Newfoundland last year each had a budget of around $20K CAN. I believe that event covers roughly the same number of days as One Lap, and would be similar in running expenses.

The key is to get a rich co-driver. ;)

cheers,
Ed N.

Back