Stalls when fan turns on?

RedFox

Has anyone encountered this. The car stalls when the fan turns on. The ECA control module was replaced and the fan was checked. I have no idea where to look next. Help!

Den :mad:

either battery weak or terminals are dirty or alternator not charging good enough or if battery was unhooked it may take 2 or 3 days and 200 miles it took mine to quit stalling at stop signs

Stall when fan comes on

Hey Redfox, did you figure this problem out yet? I have the same issue, it stalls and usually dies when the cooling fan comes on.
Thanks

My SC is a 1991, i have put a ircm from a 1990 SC because i was not sure if my old one was going bad and i think thats when my stalling began. Possible???

did u check your alternator ? put a volt meter on the battery when the car is on, the volts on your car should read 13.+,if its less that 13.0 change the alternator, i dont think the battery should matter though, i'm pretty sure u should be able to start the car then disconnect the battery and be able to turn on your fan and it should stay running. also if u can have someone if u can, have the car on and have someone looking at the volt meter and then turn the fan on and see if your volts drop alot before it dies.. or i think you can bring it in to autozone to have it tested :) another test you can do is put it on continuity (when u can touch both leads and it beeps ) and put the meter leads on the battery when the car is on and off and if either beeps you have a short somewhere..my 2 cents.. good luck..Alex L

FastBird 91,
Yes the problem was found. It was the black box behind the right front headlight. (Can't remember the name) This box is involved with the running of the fan.

At my buddy's shop in Sutton, he also found a short. It appears to have been a 2 part problem. Where are you located? If you are near Sutton, I would suggest you pop over at his shop since he found and knows of the problem.

Den

not near Sutton, im in L.A....lol. I am aware of the box, its the "ircm". I think ill look at that next. Thanks alot.

Back