IAC valve,aftermarket or ford ???

ddw350

pretty much need a new one,im gonna try to clean it to see what happens.local parts store has a quality replacement[not chingy chang brand] for $70..i imagine ford is $120-140? is this a unit that should be replaced with a ford part? thanks

mine only acts up if it sits for 3-4 days,it doesnt idle up every time..seems like when it cool and damp,but that just might be me...we used to clean the one on a friends mustang when it did this,seem to work every time.we used brakleen for years,till we heard your not supposed to use that!

You can go with an aftermarket brand, but if it comes equipped with a cable lead, unlike the original, don't buy it. Those have to be mounted backwards and won't fit on the SC. If you mount one of these in the normal position, the idle will race. You need a model which has the bellows diaphragm.

I got mine from www.rockauto.com but you need to call up ford and get the ford part # after that go to the sight and put in the part # and you they have it for like $70 alot cheaper than ford. It is motorcraft so its OEM part. and alot cheaper.

i just cleaned mine with spray i had to unhook the battery because it idled at 2000 for a week then i had to run it 3 days about 200 miles before it quit stalling and ran right again

cable lead? bellows diaphram....i think i,ll take mine off and take it to the quality parts store,if it matches,i'll get it if not i'll clean the hell out of it!

I recall that when I got my replacement IAC valve from Ford it was like $70 or less. It could just be me or my discount I get from them. I'll go home tonight and see if I can dig up the invoice for it.

Shane

ddw350 said:
cable lead? bellows diaphram....i think i,ll take mine off and take it to the quality parts store,if it matches,i'll get it if not i'll clean the hell out of it!
I know, sounds involved. But when you look inside it, it'll make sense. There are a few aftermarket suppliers, I think partsamerica.com sells a good one, that will work. I looked at 4 different ones from Pepboys, Orielly's, Autozone, and even Napa :eek: and all were the wrong model. Usually Napa stocks better parts than the other 3, but not this time.
Cleaning might help, just don't touch anything inside of it like with a toothbrush for example.. (Ask me how I know that :eek:).

you wouldnt know what brand you got from advanced auto would you? im going there tomarrow.

I'm not sure what brand it was. I am pretty sure I still have it so if I find it I can post what brand it is. The easy way of telling whether it is the right one is if it looks the same as the factory one.

Shane

what did you guys spray in there to clean it? I'll clean mine but it says not to clean it I think, so I don't want to use anything too powerful that will damage it. You guys that successfully cleaned then reused it, what did you spray in it?

quick35th said:
I would just use TB cleaner

Shane

What is that, tuberculosis cleaner? Throttle body cleaner? Tooth-brush cleaner? If throttle body, is that the same as carb and choke cleaner? Thanks

Shooter_Jay said:
What is that, tuberculosis cleaner? Throttle body cleaner? Tooth-brush cleaner? If throttle body, is that the same as carb and choke cleaner? Thanks

Yes, that is throttle body cleaner, and No it isn't exactly the same as carb and choke cleaner. They have suttle differences between each other but both will work.

Shane

Shooter_Jay said:
Is that what you used? did your iac still work after using it?

Yes I have used Throttle body cleaner and carb clearer before. If you spray alot in there the motor will have trouble starting up the first time but it will return to normal after that.

Shane

quick35th said:
Yes I have used Throttle body cleaner and carb clearer before. If you spray alot in there the motor will have trouble starting up the first time but it will return to normal after that.

Shane

Cool thanks Shane, I'll probably do it tomorrow.

got 1 from ford today.it was like $70.00 through our work.looked at one at pepboys on the way there,i see what you mean by cable/bellows diaphram.pepboys looked like 3rd graders assembled it.very cheap looking and it was 59.99.

Back