Driving in the rain

maxim123

After work yesterday is was raining pretty hard, so i took the beltway home. as i pulled up to the toll booth i noticed the speedo was moving with the tach.. never seen that before, is there something i need to look at?

bty-i was expecting the car to shut off as ford (years ago) left the plastic cover off my crank sensor so it gets wet sometimes and the car falls flat on its face.

Can that really happen with water getting on the crank sensor and causing it to fall on its face? I have never had that problem before and my covers are off of both of my cars.

So when the speedo says 0 mph does the tach say 0 rpm also? Thats kinda weird. Maybe there is some dirt in the cluster somewhere causing the problem. It wouldn't hurt to take the cluster out and just blast the dust off of the individual gauges. Hey its free and worth a shot.

Shane

water

when the crank sensor gets wet, it acts like the sensor is bad for a few monents, car cuts out under part throttle and comes back on, scares the crap out of me everytime it has happened... oh no its raining and my car is stalling out feeling.. lovely

any way i don't think its dust in the cluster, it definity had something to do with something getting wet.. the signal was bleeding over to the speedo from the tach. i was sitting still and rev'd up the car and the mph rose with the tach..

im not sure if this is related or not but there are times ive watched my speedo at a stop jump as high as 50mph than back down to 0 out of nowhere. i usually see it bounce to 20mph or so once a day at a stop

I can't really explain the tach signal influencing the speedometer reading, but I would start by considering the vehicle speed sensor..

Back