good track times

romigh871

Last night i went racing at a local track. it was 82 degrees with 52% humidity. My car is a 91 sc with 122k, 5-speed, with some crappy tires. My best time was 15.86 at 91 mph with a 2.5 '60. When i would launch i would eaither bog down and go or smoke the tires. I seemed to get the best times with a 1200 rpm launch. I know with that speed i should be getting 15.2 et. Got any ideas on how to improve my times. thanks

The biggest difference you'll see in ET's w/ your current setup is from practicing your launch. What type of tires are you running on the car? If you're running regular old street tires that call for 32psi cold pressure, drop them down to ~25psi and raise the pressure in the front tires to close to the max rating(helps a tad w/ weight transfer to the rear to gain more traction). Also, before you stage, spin the tires just a slight bit(basically enough to completely make one rotation to "clean" them off). If this doesn't help much, try dropping the pressure down to ~20psi and spin the tires again before staging to clean them off. Just vary tire pressures a bit and practice launching different ways and you should see low 15's or high 14's out of the car. BTW, get rid of those "crappy" tires and get somethat offer some more grip. Having power doesn't mean much if you can't put it to the ground effectively. ;)

ok thanks for the information. the one tire is a mich. and the other is a dean so they are some crappy tires. i will try what you said hopfully next week. thanks

You need to be in the 13's with that 100mph Z28. :)
That's a great mph for your SC, is that stock?

well it has a jet chip in it but all it does is through codes at me when it is run hard. I think i can get my Z in the 13 with some better 60' times. i will try some more on both cars this summer. The modding has only begun. :)

Back