rear wheels hop

darkstar_one

ok is it me or do i need new suspension when my damn rear wheels hop everytime there is a crack thats about half an inch in height? almost at every crack my rear wheels hop. Also i know i need new tranny mounts and the crossmember mounts but i cant afford them at the moment. I just got a job at a lil racing shop and i start today. Thanx

You must describe in further detail what you mean. Do the wheels hop once upon hitting a deformity in the road when simply cruising, or is this something that occurs when they loose traction?

Wheel hop is a common phenomenon on these cars due to our IRS. Myself and others have found that worn suspension components like mounts, shocks, ect can exasperate the problem.

I have also personally found that worn tires will greatly increase the problem. When I replaced mine, I entirely eliminated my wheel hop.

what i ment. was that like at any lil hic cup on the road the rear end will hop. im afraid of hitting off ramps like at certian speeds because i feel the rear end will hop and ima go right into a tree. I know i need new bushings but damn u know. So can it be because of my worn suspension? My worn tires? The fact that this car should of been made better?

rear shocks

Sounds like you need new rear shocks, they aren't dampening like they should. does the rear of the car float around like a Cadillac? If thats not it, the bushings are probably severely worn. Good luck, JJ

Hop how? Hop as in rear wheels bouncing or hop as in the whole rear of the vehicle bounces feeling like it shifts position.

The first one could be bad shocks. The second one could be too stiff of a shock.

My car does the same when I would hit a little bump!! Feels like the rear jumps a little and swings to the side!!! Its pretty scary sometimes!!!!

My lx did that

My 1990 lx did that with the rear end drifting to the point of being scary , replaced shock with monroe sensatrac, and new springs solved it, also ensure you sway bar linkages are solid. My buddies '94cav did the same thing was rear springs that fixed it.

Cheers

Back